A passive effect is an effect which applies as a part of a larger action, or automatically throughout the game. They are added bonuses, some of which directly increase base stats, while others require a form of action such as activation.
There are currently three different ways to acquire passive effects in the game. The first ones are champion abilities, every innate ability has a passive effect but some champions have an additional ability which grants a boost passively, like and .
The second ones are items, when purchased these items will grant the wearer increased stats and effects as long as it is not sold or built into another items as part of a recipe. However these passive effects are usually persistent throughout the building chain. For example and .
The third one is the global effect in the Crystal Scar map in the Dominion game-type and Proving Grounds map in ARAM game-type. This passive effect applies to all players from the start to the end of the game.
There are several different types of passive effects, aside from the usual defensive, offensive or utility. These mainly are:
- Constant passives, these effects are persistent throughout the game no matter what action is taken. They include innate abilities, and both Crystal Scar and Proving Grounds passive bonuses.
- Restrained passives, these are in effect until a certain action is taken that temporarily disables them. For example and .
- Stacking passives, these passives have an effect which increases each time a certain action is performed. For example , , and .
- Global passives, these passives have an effect on every member of the team and are restricted to only a handful of champions. For example and .
- Aura passives, these passives have a small area of effect that affect allies and or foes. For example and .
- Buffing passives, these passives increase stats such as attack speed from and health regeneration from .
- De-buffing passives, these passives decrease stats such as magic resist from and attack speed from .