- passives. is gold efficient without its two
- Both passives trigger on both basic attacks and on any abilities that deal physical damage (including pets), such as and , and the stacks are applied for every tick of damage.
- On-hit effects, which are different from on-hit abilities, do not apply an additional armor shred stack (excluding and ).
- Note that the excluded on-hits will sometimes not apply the armor shred. If they're triggered by they will however always apply it. Runaan's Hurricane will also apply the shred to the main target since it deals them 0 physical damage on-hit.
- The very first instance of physical damage does not get the benefit of the armor reduction. The physical damage dealt is calculated first, and the debuff is applied after. This means the full benefit of the reduction is seen on the seventh hit, after all six stacks have been applied.
- Armor reduction and penetration effects stack, allowing an attacking character to benefit simultaneously from shred, penetration runes, other items such as , and champion abilities that circumvent armor.
- Multiple instances of physical damage applied at the same time (e.g. Shadows) will only apply one stack. thrown by him and his
- Black Cleaver is usually used on juggernauts ( , , ) because they can easily apply stacks and survive long enough to benefit from the penetration. Other than the shred effect they can also very nicely benefit from the bonus movement per hit which allows them to stick to their targets.
- The Cleave icon is also used in .
- Black Cleaver and Obsidian Cleaver are among a number of items that had the word "The" removed from their names in patch V9.19. They were previously known as The Black Cleaver and The Obsidan Cleaver respectively.
- The icon of Black Cleaver is reused for the Teamfight Tactics item .