Magic resistance (or MR) is a stat that all units have, including minions, monsters, and buildings. Increasing magic resistance reduces the magic damage the unit takes. Each champion begins with some magic resistance which may increase with level. You can gain additional magic resistance from abilities, items, masteries, and runes. Magic resistance stacks additively.
All champions begin with 30 base magic resistance. No ranged champions gain magic resistance per level, but many melee champions do, with 52.5 being the maximum magic resistance possible without items, runes, masteries, or ally buffs.
Incoming magic damage is multiplied by a factor based on the unit's magic resistance:
- Damage multiplier = 100 / (100 + MR) if MR ≥ 0
- Damage multiplier = 2 − 100 / (100 − MR) if MR ≤ 0
- 25 magic resistance → ×0.8 incoming magic damage (20% reduction).
- 100 magic resistance → ×0.5 incoming magic damage (50% reduction).
- −25 magic resistance → ×1.2 incoming magic damage (20% increase).
Stacking magic resistance
Every point of magic resistance requires a unit to take 1% more of its maximum health in magic damage to be killed. This is called "effective health."
- Example: A unit with 60 magic resistance has 60% of its maximum health in its effective health, so if the unit has 1000 maximum health, it will take 1600 magic damage to kill it.
What this means: by definition, magic resistance does not have diminishing returns, because each point increases the unit's effective health against magic damage by 1% of its current actual health value whether the unit has 10 magic resistance or 1000 magic resistance.
- Note: Unlike health, increasing magic resistance also makes healing more effective because it takes more effort to remove the unit's health than it does to restore it.
Ways to increase magic resistance
- +57 magic resistance, +70 ability power. Unique aura: Reduces the magic resistance of nearby enemies by 20. 2650 gold. :
- +24 magic resistance, +270 health +18 armor. Unique aura: +12 armor, +15 magic resistance, +8 attack damage to nearby allied champions. 1925 gold. :
- +40 magic resistance, +90 ability power, +15 mana regeneration. Unique passive: +15% cooldown reduction. Unique passive: Restores 12% of maximum mana on kill or assist. Unique passive: Increases your mana regeneration by 1% per 1% mana you're missing. 2950 gold. :
- +50 magic resistance, +375 health +375 mana. Unique passive: Blocks one negative spell every 45 seconds. 2715 gold. :
- +30 magic resistance, +7.5 mana regeneration. Unique passive: Increases your mana regeneration by 1% per 1% mana you're missing. 890 gold. :
- +76 magic resistance, +40 health regeneration, +8% movement speed. Unique passive: Restores 0.35% of your champion's health every second. 2610 gold. :
- +38 magic resistance, +68 armor. Unique passive: Revives your champion upon death, restoring 750 health and 375 mana. This effect can only occur once every 5 minutes. 2600 gold. :
- +30 magic resistance, +25 attack damage Unique passive: If you would take magic damage which would leave you at less than 30% of your maximum health, you first gain a shield which absorbs 250 magic damage for 5 seconds. 60 second cooldown. 1400 gold. :
- +30 magic resistance, +350 mana +80 ability power +7% movement speed. Unique passive: 100% chance when an ability is used that your next physical attack deals an additional 100% of your ability power in damage. This effect has a 2 second cooldown. 3470 gold. :
- +36 magic resistance, +55 attack damage, Unique Passive: +1 Attack Damage for every 2.5% health missing, Unique Passive: If you would take magic damage which would leave you at less than 30% of your maximum health, you gain a shield which absorbs 400 magic damage for 5 seconds. 60 second cooldown 3300 gold. :
- +25 magic resistance, +35 tenacity. Unique passive: Enhanced Movement 2. 1200 gold. :
- +48 magic resistance. 740 gold. :
- +24 magic resistance. 400 gold. :
- +50 magic resistance, +350 health, +350 mana. Unique passive: Reduces and stores 10% of magic damage dealt to your champion. Unique Active: Deals 200 + (Stored magic damage)[Max: 400] to nearby enemy units. 90 second cooldown. 2715 gold. :
- +48 magic resistance. Unique active: Removes all debuffs from your champion. 90 second cooldown. 1440 gold. :
- +30 magic resistance, +250 health. Unique passive: Reduces ability cooldowns by 10% and increases healing and regeneration on yourself by 15%. 1550 gold. :
- +30 magic resistance, +40% attack speed. Unique passive: Physical attacks deal 42 bonus magic damage and increase your magic resistance by 5 for 5 seconds. (stacks up to 4 times). 2150 gold. :
- lays down a cover of smoke for 8 seconds where she gains 10 / 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 magic resistance while inside.
- increases her magic resistance by 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 / 60 for 8 seconds.
- increases her magic resistance by 10 / 15 / 20 / 25.
- increases an allied champion's magic resistance by 30 / 45 / 60 / 75 / 90 for 4 seconds.
- increases his magic resistance by 20%.
- increases his magic resistance by Error: Parameter '3' is not accepted. every second he remains in combat. This bonus stacks up to 10 times. Graves is considered in combat if he has dealt or received damage in the last 3 seconds.
- (+20% AP) for 8 seconds. increases his magic resistance by 25 / 35 / 45
- increases his magic resistance by 10 / 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 for 4 seconds.
- increases his magic resistance by 5 / 15 / 25 / 35.
- increases her magic resistance by 30 / 40 / 50 / 60 / 70 for 3 seconds. The duration of the buff is doubled if any enemies are damaged by the ability.
- increases his magic resistance by 100 / 150 / 200 / 250 / 300 for up to 5 seconds.
- increases an allied unit's magic resistance by 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 for 6 seconds.
- grants her 10 / 20 / 30 magic resistance while in cougar form.
- increases his magic resistance by 30 / 45 / 60 for 6 seconds.
- increases an allied champion's magic resistance by 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 as long as the ball is attached to it.
- increases his magic resistance by 40 / 60 / 80 / 100 / 120 for 6 seconds.
- Rengar lets out a battle roar, damaging enemies increases his magic resist by 15 / 22 / 29 / 36 / 43 for 3 seconds.
- passively increases her magic resistance by 10 / 15 / 20. This bonus is doubled while she is in dragon form.
- increases his magic resistance by 35 / 50 / 65 for 25 seconds.
- Aura: increases nearby allied champions' magic resistance by 3 / 6 / 9 / 12 / 15 while active and persists for two seconds after deactivation.
- Activation: increases hers and one nearby allied champion's magic resistance by an extra 8 / 11 / 14 / 17 / 20 for 3 seconds.
- increases nearby allied champions' magic resistance by 16.
- increases his magic resistance by 15% / 20% / 25% of the target enemy's magic resistance, and doubles the amount over the next 6 seconds.
- increases his magic resistance by 60 / 90 / 120 for 5 seconds.
- grants him Error: Parameter '3' is not accepted. magic resistance for each nearby enemy champion.
- increases his magic resistance by 15 / 20 / 25 for each enemy champion hit for 8 seconds.
- Resistance Resistance increases your champion's magic resistance by 2 / 4 / 6.
Ways to reduce magic resistance
See magic penetration. Note that magic penetration and magic resistance reduction are different.
List of champions' magic resistance
- If a summoner leaves the game, their champion gains 1000 armor and magic resistance. This may be to prevent champions like or from gaining free kills.
- and are the only two champions in the game with 0.75 magic resistance per level growth. All other champions are either 0 or 1.25.
- A level 18 Resistance Resistance, , , , , aura, Glyphs, Seals, Marks and Quintessences of Shielding, and active will give a total of approximately 1086 MR. Having an enemy with the same items and support use on will yield a total of approximately 1329 MR or 93% reduction. with 6 , 3 points in
- Swapping out or for on the team of and saving the Active buffs for the result in a 916.32 , 1244.48 Enemy and 1378.56 Allied if the Allied uses on the Enemy . This is the highest amount of Magic Resistance obtainable without exploiting the disconnection bonus.
- A disconnected level 18 with the same items, runes, masteries and support as the above will give a total of approximately 2144 MR after applying for 95.5% reduction. Without the bonus Magic Resistance from leaving, does not quite equal . This is the highest possible amount of Magic Resistance.
- Unlike the example, a similarly kitted and supported using on the will actually result in a reduced 1858 Magic Resistance on the .