- Using Pulverize can allow Alistar to establish better positioning for Headbutt.
- You can use Flash to catch your target off guard, Pulverize/ Headbutt them into your allies/turret.
- Using Pulverize immediately after a successful Headbutt will apply the stun from Pulverize. Instead of being pushed back, the target will be knocked up and stay in place. This can be useful in some chase situations (make sure you succeed or you will knock them further away), or finishing off a weakened opponent on the run. This tactic is risky, leaves you useless while both abilities are on cooldown, but is considered a staple move of Alistar and used very often in both competitive and casual play.
- In the event that a tank is running close to your target to protect them, a safer and often more useful strategy is to use Headbutt on the tank to get you into range to Pulverize your true target.
- Be wary when using Headbutt because you might end up disrupting positions in a way that benefits the enemy team, particularly knocking them out of a teammate's area of effect.
- Alistar is considered a great roamer due to the fact that all he needs is his Pulverize and Headbutt combo to gank a lane.
- Hitting an enemy into a close-by thick wall with Headbutt will stun them for ~1s. Reason being that they will still try to travel the distance even if a wall is in the way. Thus they will be stuck against the wall for the duration of the flight.
- However, if Headbutt is used near a wall, it sometimes sends the enemy onto the other side which allows them to escape.
- This can also be used to your advantage. Sending the enemy tank or a high damage dealing carry (like Fiddlesticks after he uses Crowstorm) over a wall can allow your team to win a 5v4 match.
- Most walls in the jungle and river are thin, but whether they will go over them or not depends on how close they were to the wall at impact. If they are a high priority target, it may be better to keep them in the fight. A high priority threat would be neutralized if knocked over.
- Triumphant Roar Triumphant Roar enables you and your allies to stay in your lane for longer periods of time.
- Unbreakable Will Unbreakable Will should mostly be used when turret diving or in team fights when being focused.
- Getting Alistar to position himself better around the battlefield for Headbutt. will allow
- Try to buy a attack damage and pushing capability. Getting items with auras like , or help your entire team to push faster. to increase your
- Alistar and his team to initiate. It also helps to flee or to get in range to stun fleeing opponents. helps
- Thanks to Alistar can heal himself for additional 9/14/18/23/27 health with his Triumphant Roar Triumphant Roar. Amount of boost is rather low, but it's still a great item because of cooldown reduction and magic resistance it provides. ,
- Buying an early Alistar to roam between lanes without the need for gold from minion kills. The health and mana regeneration allow Alistar to transition between lanes, ganking and unsettling the enemy team. allows
- An AP Alistar is also viable, as he can deal some burst damage while still tanking damage because of Unbreakable Will Unbreakable Will. However, he becomes quite squishy after its duration ends.
- Alistar during the laning phase as his abilities cost a heavy amount of mana. is a viable early game item for
- Stay away from his Pulverize range to avoid his Pulverize and Headbutt combo.
- Flash can be used on Alistar to quickly get into the middle of a team, hit much of them with Pulverize, and knock a squishy target toward his team with Headbutt. Always spread out when you see Alistar walk toward your team.
- Beware the potential combo of canceling the knockback of Headbutt into Pulverize. At that note, it is safest to poke Alistar with something that is farther than the 600 ability range of Headbutt.
- Alistar is a pure tank that naturally has a high health, armor and magic resistance. Buying items like , , or can help with killing him faster.
- It is best to wait until the duration of his Unbreakable Will Unbreakable Will wears off before continuing to attack him.
- If Alistar has already cast Pulverize and Headbutt, consider ignoring him if possible for the cooldowns of those two abilities are very significant - especially since spending effort to attack him may just have him reduce it with Unbreakable Will Unbreakable Will.
- Due to said significant cooldowns, crowd-controlling his own team as he uses Pulverize if possible can waste the ability's synergy with his allies and leave Alistar with little else to do for his team while it cools down - as long as you yourself have other things to use while you traded cooldown(s) of your own for his, of course.
- Avoid fighting near minion waves to ensure that his Triumphant Roar Triumphant Roar has a long cooldown.
- Position yourself in such a way that it is difficult for Alistar to Headbutt you into a bad position that may endanger yourself.
- Flash or other movement abilities (such as Arcane Shift) can help make it difficult for Alistar to land a combo on you, or make for an easier escape after he already has.