- 1 Calculations
- 2 Increasing flat movement speed
- 3 Increasing movement speed
- 4 Decreasing movement speed
- 5 Base movement speeds chart
- 6 General video guide regarding movement speed and slows
- 7 Trivial
Movement speed is a champion statistic that represents the rate at which a champion travels across a map. One movement speed point translates to one game distance unit traveled per second (as a frame of reference, basic attack has a range of 625 game distance units).
Each champion begins the game with a particular base movement speed, ranging from 300 (base champion statistics., and 11 others) to 330 ( and ) units per second. For a list of all champions' base movement speed, see
This base movement speed can be increased by flat bonuses and percentage bonuses and reduced by slows. These effects can come from items, champion abilities, spells, masteries, runes or neutral buffs.
A champion's movement speed is given by the following formula:
- (Base Movement Speed + Flat Movement Bonuses) × (1 + Percentage Movement Bonuses) × Slow Ratio
Diminishing returns are then applied to the result.
Flat bonuses are applied first, then percent bonuses and slows, then diminishing returns. Most bonuses and slows are given as percentages. The exceptions are:
- The passive aura on .
Remember that because bonuses and slows are applied to each other, a champion affected by a 20% bonus and a 20% slow still has a net reduced movement speed (e.g. 300 × 1.2 × 0.8 = 288).
When the raw movement speed is greater than 415, there are two soft caps applied:
- The raw speed between 415 and 490 gets multiplied by 80%.
- The raw speed over 490 gets multiplied by 50%.
The two ranges have their reductions applied at the same time before being added back together.
- As an example, if the calculated raw speed is 600 before soft caps kick in, it is reduced to (600 − 490) × 0.5 + (490 − 415) × 0.8 + 415 = 530, which means an 11.7% reduction of the original movement speed.
These are the simplified formulas:
- If the raw speed is 415 or under, no cap is applied.
- If the raw speed is between 415 and 490, final speed is soft capped to RawMS × 0.8 + 83.
- If the raw speed is above 490, final speed is soft capped to RawMS × 0.5 + 230.
When the raw movement speed is less than 220 another soft cap is used:
- If the raw speed below 220, it gets multiplied by 50% and added to 110.
- Example: if the calculated raw speed is 180 before soft caps kick in, it is increased to 180 × 0.5 + 110 = 200.
Slowing effects follow particular rules when stacking:
- If a champion is affected by multiple slows, the strongest one will be fully applied, while the others are applied sequentially with 65% reduced effectiveness down to 35% of its original strength.
- Slow effects derived from items' passives do NOT stack, even when coming from different champions. Only the strongest item slow is applied at any moment. The exception to this is the active effect of , and , which stacks with other slowing items normally because they are considered champion abilities for slow stacking purposes.
- Attacking a champion with the buff when the target is already affected by that slow will reapply the debuff, resetting its duration. It will NOT increase the slow amount. The same holds true for the Exhaust summoner spell.
A champion with a raw movement speed of 400 is affected by a 2 second long 40% slow and a 5 second long 20% slow at the same time.
- For the first two seconds, he will have (1 − 0.4) × (1 − 0.2 × 0.35) = 0.6 × 0.93 = 55.8% of his original movement speed (a 44.2% effective slow). So he will have 400 × 0.558 = 223.2 raw movement speed.
- For the following three seconds, the effective slow will be 20% and so he will have 400 × 0.8 = 320 movement speed.
- After that, he will return to his normal speed of 400.
Purchasing boots from the store grants a champion a flat increase in movement speed. The effect given by boots is called Enhanced Movement and is unique, which means that if a champion has multiple pairs of boots, they will only receive the highest Enhanced Movement bonus. The bonus from boots is quite big compared to their cost and is essential for all champions.
- Enhanced Movement 1 increases the base movement speed of a champion by 50.
- Enhanced Movement 2 increases the base movement speed of a champion by 70.
- Enhanced Movement 3 increases the base movement speed of a champion by 90.
- Enhanced Movement 5 increases the base movement speed of a champion by 130.
Enhanced Movement gives 20 movement speed per rank plus a flat 30 movement speed. As such, basic boots have a higher speed-to-cost ratio than upgraded boots.
In addition, some champions have abilities that increase their movement speed by a flat amount.
This is a complete list of boots, ordered by cost:
- Unique passive: Enhanced movement 1 (50). 350 gold :
- Unique passive: Enhanced movement 2 (70). Unique passive: Reduces the damage taken from non-turret autoattacks by 10%. +25 armor. 850 gold :
- Unique passive: Enhanced movement 2 (70). +25% attack speed. 920 gold :
- Unique passive: Enhanced movement 3 (90). 1000 gold :
- Unique passive: Enhanced movement 2 (70). Unique passive: When out of combat for 5 seconds the effect of these boots is increased to Enhanced movement 5 (130). 1000 gold :
- Unique passive: Enhanced movement 2 (70). Unique passive: +15% cooldown reduction. 1050 gold :
- Unique passive: Enhanced movement 2 (70). +20 magic penetration. 1100 gold :
- Unique passive: Enhanced movement 2 (70). +25 magic resistance, +35 tenacity. 1200 gold :
The bonus given by boots is a flat increase to the champion's base movement speed, meaning that it will increase the effectiveness of percentage bonuses.
- grants her 4 / 8 / 12 / 16 / 20 flat movement speed for 3 seconds each time she hits an enemy champion with her abilities. This effect stacks up to 4 times.
- grants him 40 movement speed for 1.25 seconds each time Transform is cast.
- grants him 310 flat movement speed for 3 seconds.
- passively grants her 25 flat movement speed after not taking any damage for 5 or more seconds, increasing by 9 each second up to 70 flat movement speed.
- passively grants her 20 flat movement speed while she is in cougar form.
- grants him 35 / 45 / 55 flat movement speed for 5 / 6 / 7 seconds.
- grants him 35 / 50 / 65 flat movement speed for 25 seconds.
- grants her 50 flat movement speed for 2 seconds after landing a basic attack on an enemy champion.
- passively grants nearby allied champions 4 / 8 / 12 / 16 / 20 flat movement speed.
- passively grants her 30 flat movement speed when moving towards an enemy champion. The activation of grants her 90 flat movement speed for 8 / 10 / 12 seconds when moving towards an enemy champion instead.
These items increase the movement speed of a champion by a percentage of their base move speed (ordered alphabetically).
- +8% movement speed, +40 health regeneration per 5, +76 magic resistance. Unique passive: Restores 1.75% of your champion's health every 5 seconds. 2610 gold :
- +7% movement speed, +80 ability power, +30 magic resistance, +350 mana. Unique passive: On cast, for 10 seconds, your next standard attack deals extra damage equal to 100% of your ability power. 2 seconds cooldown. 3470 gold :
- +12% movement speed, +55% attack speed, +30% critical strike chance. 2895 gold :
- Unique active: Nearby champions gain +40% movement speed for 3 seconds. 60 second cooldown. +330 health, +30 health regeneration per 5, +15 mana regeneration per 5. Unique passive: +15% cooldown reduction. 2200 gold :
- +12% movement speed, +30 ability power, +30 attack damage, +30% attack speed, +15% critical strike chance, +250 health, +250 mana. Unique passive: On hit, 25% chance for target to be slowed by 35% for 2.5 seconds. Unique passive: On cast, for 10 seconds, your next standard attack deals extra damage equal to 150% of your base attack damage. Cooldown 2 seconds. 4070 gold :
- Unique active: You gain +50% attack speed and +20% movement speed for 4 seconds; attacking enemy units with melee attacks increases the duration by 2 seconds to a maximum of 8 seconds. +30 attack damage, +15% critical chance. Unique passive: +20 armor penetration, +15% cooldown reduction. 2687 gold :
- +6% movement speed, +20% attack speed, +10% critical strike chance. 1195 gold :
- Unique passive: You gain +5 attack damage per stack, receiving 2 stacks for a kill or 1 stack for an assist. This effect can stack 20 times; you lose a third of your stacks if you die. At 20 stacks, you gain +15% movement speed. +10 attack damage. 1369 gold :
Note: Only the movement speed bonus effect of these abilities is shown here. To read more about each of these abilities, follow their respective links.
- grants him 16% / 20% / 24% / 28% / 32% increased movement for 8 seconds.
- grants her 15% / 17.5% / 20% / 22.5% / 25% increased movement for three seconds if she hits a champion with the ability.
- grants him 15% / 25% / 35% extra movement speed for 12 seconds.
- grants him 5% movement speed for each bleeding enemy champion.
- grants him 40% / 45% / 50% / 55% / 60% movement speed for 1.5 seconds. The movement speed bonus decreases rapidly over its duration.
- grants her 30% / 40% / 50% / 60% / 70% movement speed for 3 seconds.
- increases her movement speeds by 7% / 9% / 11% / 13% / 15% for 3 seconds for each basic attacks she lands, stacking up to 3 times.
- creates a directional draft for 5 seconds which increases the movement speed of allies passing through it by 20% / 28% / 36% / 44% / 52%.
- grants him 3% / 4% / 5% / 6% / 7% movement speed passively. He can also activate this ability to increase his movement speed by 8% / 11% / 14% / 17% / 20% instead, also increasing nearby allied champions' movement speed by half of that amount for the duration.
- grants him 35% increased movement for 1.5 / 2.25 / 3 / 3.75 / 4.5 seconds.
- grants him 75% movement speed over the course of three seconds, ending one second afterward.
- increases the movement speed of all allied champions by 3% while she's alive.
- passively increases her movement speed by 8% / 10% / 12% / 14% / 16% and enables her to pass through units. This bonus is lost while the ability is in cooldown.
- deploys an Acceleration Gate for 4 seconds, increasing the movement speed of all allies who pass through it by 30 / 35 / 40 / 45 / 50% for 3 seconds. This bonus fades over the duration.
- creates a beam between her and an ally or enemy for up to 5 seconds. Allied anchors move 10% / 12% / 14% / 16% / 18% / 20% faster and enemy anchors are slowed by 10% / 12% / 14% / 16% / 18% / 20%. The beam also applies the same movement speed adjustment anchors receive to any champion it passes through for 3 seconds (depending on wether they are allies or enemies). The beam breaks if the bonded target is stealthed or if they walk too far away from Karma. If a charge is used on the ability, then all movement speed modifiers are doubled.
- increases her movement speed by 12% / 20% / 28% / 36% / 44% for 1 second if she hits an enemy with this ability.
- increases an allied champion's movement speed by 18% / 21% / 24% / 27% / 30% for 3 seconds.
- grants him 40% movement speed for 1 second.
- grants her or an allied champion 35% movement speed for 5 seconds.
- steals 14% / 17% / 20% / 23% / 26% movement speed from the target as a flat movement speed bonus for 4 seconds. The flat bonus is applied after any other movement speed bonuses.
- increases his movement speed by 40% for 8 / 10 / 12 seconds.
- grants her 15% movement speed for 2 seconds when moving through brush.
- increases his movement speed by 15% / 20% / 25% / 30% / 35% while in the trail made by the ability or left by enemy champions hit by it.
- grants him and the target allied unit 11% / 12% / 13% / 14% / 15% increased movement speed for 15 seconds.
- leaves an electric field on the area for 3 seconds. The field speeds up allies and slows enemies by 20% / 25% / 30% / 35% / 40% that walk over it. This effect diminishes to normal over 2 seconds after leaving the area.
- grants her 17% / 19% / 21% / 23% / 25% increased movement speed for 5 seconds when activated.
- grants him 30% initial bonus movement speed plus additional bonus movement speed while active (roughly 10% of his movement speed every second). It lasts up to 7 seconds.
- grants him 20% / 25% / 30% increased movement speed for up to 7 seconds, until he uses an ability.
- grants him 10% / 15% / 20% / 25% / 30% increased movement speed for 1 second. When in the "Danger Zone", this amount is increased by 25%.
- grants her 30% / 35% / 40% / 45% / 50% increased movement speed for 3 to 7 seconds, this bonus movement speed decreases over time.
- grants him a flat bonus of 35 / 50 / 65 increased movement speed for 25 seconds.
- grants her and nearby allies 20% extra movement speed for 10 seconds.
- grants him an absorption shield for up to 6 seconds and 15% / 17% / 19% / 21% / 23% extra movement speed for as long as the shield remains.
- increases the movement speed of nearby allies by 6% / 8% / 10% / 12% / 14% for 1.5 seconds upon activation.
- will stealth him for 2.5 seconds and give him 40% increased movement speed.
- increases his movement speed by 10% / 14% / 18% / 22% / 26% until he is struck by a champion or a turret. He can activate it to gain double the passive, for 3 seconds, which will not be lost even if he is hit.
- infects a target location with his curse for 8 seconds, granting him 20% / 25% / 30% / 35% / 40% movement speed while on it.
- grants him 20% movement speed while stealthed, maximum duration of 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 seconds.
- grants him 15% / 18% / 21% / 24% / 27% increased movement speed for 2 / 2.5 / 3 / 3.5 / 4 seconds upon activation.
- grants him 30% movement speed bonus for 3 seconds if the Hex Core is .
- grants him 15% bonus movement speed for 4 seconds. The bonus increase to 45% if he is moving towards a nearby visible enemy champion.
- senses enemy champions under 50% life within 1500 / 2300 / 3100 / 3900 / 4700 distance of him; while he detects a low-health enemy, he gains 20% / 25% / 30% / 35% / 40% increased movement speed.
- gains him an increasing 5% movement speed bonus every half second for the duration of the spell, with the bonus disappearing once he stops spinning.
- : upon deactivation, Xerath gains 35% movement speed for 2 seconds.
- summons a ghoul, which when alive (max duration is 5 seconds) grants Yorick 15% / 20% / 25% / 30% / 35% increased movement speed.
- increases an allied champion's movement speed by 55% for 2.5 / 3.25 / 4 / 4.75 / 5.5 seconds.
- Ghost allows your champion to ignore unit collision and gain 27% movement speed for 10 seconds.
- Summoner's Resolve Summoner's Resolve mastery grants a massive movement speed boost (125%) for a short duration upon casting Revive.
- Summoner's Wrath Summoner's Wrath mastery increases the movement speed of your Ghost spell to 35%.
- Initiator Initiator gives 1% / 2% / 3% Movement speed when above 70% health.
- Swiftness Swiftness gives 0.5% / 1% / 1.5% / 2% Movement speed.
- Swiftness runes increase movement speed.
- Quintessence of the Speedy Specter runes increase movement speed by 1.39% each. (Tier 2.5)
|Name||Type||Tier 1 (Lesser)||Tier 2 (Normal)||Tier 3 (Greater)|
- The buff grants 30% increased movement speed.
- The Speed Shrine buff on Dominion grants 30% increased movement speed.
There are many ways to decrease a champion movement speed, with the most usual one being through champion abilities. For a full list of slows, see here.
Assuming calculations are correct, the maximum movement speed possible is 119,140. It is obtained by Revive and Ghost, , and , passing through and , with 3 Greater Quintessences of Swiftness, 4 points in Swiftness Swiftness, and 3 points in Initiator Initiator., reaching the maximum of while under the effects of , a fully-stacked , 3 x , , an effect, enhanced