- Don't be afraid to use Overload to last hit minions as the spell has a low mana cost and cooldown.
- Chaining abilities in the right order is key to make optimal use of Arcane Mastery . For starters, begin with Overload and use it every 2nd spell afterwards. Advanced combos rely on making use of Arcane Mastery to cooldown priority spells.
- Some example spell combos involve:
- Overload -> Desperate Power(while Overload is enroute) -> Overload -> Spell Flux -> Overload -> Rune Prison -> Overload (maximum damage over-time, 40% CDR team-fight damage combo)
- Rune Prison -> Overload -> Spell Flux -> Overload (short, lane harassment burst combo)
- Rune Prison -> Overload -> Spell Flux -> Overload -> Desperate Power (while Overload is enroute) -> Overload -> Rune Prison (chasing combo, to make Rune Prison refresh as soon as possible, also used on people out of position)
- Casting Overload before your other spells will allow a second cast soon, due to its relatively short cooldown and Arcane Mastery.
- If pursued, try to cast your spells on the run to use your Rune Prison as many times as possible on your pursuers. Prioritize melee champions with gap closers.
- Using Rune Prison on melee enemies will effectively remove them from the fight temporarily.
- Rune Prison does NOT interrupt channeling abilities, so be aware of using it against enemies like Katarina or Fiddlesticks.
- Rune Prison will not stop a ranged champion from attacking your allies within range; always take this into consideration when using it on champions such as Twitch or 20px Kog'Maw.
- Try to use Spell Flux on groups of minions or a minion near a champion to hit them near turrets.
- When encountering a single opponent, make sure you're sufficiently close for the Spell Flux to bounce off you.
- Desperate Power combined with Ryze's other abilities make farming gold easy, in mid/late game.
- Desperate Power has a relatively short cooldown and its spell vamp can help Ryze to regain health.
- At 40% cooldown reduction, because of Arcane Mastery, Ryze's combo is only limited by the player's casting speed. This makes smartcasting all of Ryze's skills a good technique for veteran players.
- Because Ryze, he has the option of choosing other starting items to go to lane, such as or and health or mana potions. doesn't synergize well with
- Ryze relies on mainly cooldown reduction, mana, and magic penetration to increase his damage. Any items that grant one of these stats, or a reasonable combination, is probably worth buying.
- Because the magic damage from Overload and Rune Prison scale very well with mana, Ryze relies heavily on mana for damage and usage of abilities. This makes mana items essential to his build.
- Ryze to more freely use his spells while passively increasing his mana pool, and indirectly, his magic damage. is a viable upgrade, but should not be built out of immediately. When Ryze has a VERY deep mana pool later in the game, he can make full use of 's passive +3% max mana to ability power. is especially key, allowing
- Ryze should invest in an early for health and mana. It can be built into later.
- Buying a defensive mana item like or offers surprisingly potent offensive boosts at the same time, solidifying Ryze in his innate tanky caster role.
- Arcane Mastery synergizes very well with cooldown reduction items. Overload provides a passive 10% cooldown reduction at max rank, so Ryze only needs 30% more cooldown reduction from other sources to reach the 40% cap, and his Arcane Mastery reduces the cooldowns on his abilities even further.
- item for Ryze giving him mana and armor allowing Ryze to be a tanky mage with a decent amount of damage. Later, it can also be built into a . With two cooldown reduction masteries, 9/0/21 or 9/21/0, and Overload can be all that Ryze needs for maximum cooldown reduction. is a core
- Because most cooldown reduction items don't synergize well with Ryze, the can be used with a and Overload's passive to reach the maximum 40% cooldown reduction cap. Depending on what items Ryze intends to build for magic penetration, may be more useful than .
- Consider the impact on his damage before immediately upgrading Ryze's mana items into their ability power and mana upgrades like and . Because his AP ratios are so low, it might be better to just get another mana item or get a little tankier.
- Because Ryze has low ability power scalings, magic penetration or magic resistance reduction is important. Although Spell Flux reduces enemy magic resistance, items like will improve his late game damage output if enemies have built some magic resistance.
- spell vamp of Desperate Power and makes you surprisingly durable even at low health. works well in conjunction with the
- Ryze damage output is mainly magic damage. Investing in a magic resistance item can help reduce his damage.
- Stay back when you notices he activates his Desperate Power. It gives his spells AoE damage, causing him to deal a lot of damage when facing him in a minion wave.
- Ryze takes a while to rack up mana via - denying him farm and killing him early on will hamper him in the later stage of the game.
- Although Ryze is very strong at late game, he has a weak early game. Putting pressure on his lane or denying his chance to farm or kill will reduce his effectiveness in the later stages of the game.