- Malzahar was designed by Ezreal.
- Malzahar is voiced by Vic Mignogna.
- Before his official announcement, he was named Al'Zahar on the Public Test Realm.
- Malzahar was the only Champion who caused malfunctions on the Public Test Realm due to its changes.
- His /dance is a direct reference to MC Hammer's famous "Can't Touch This" dance. A side-by-side comparison can be seen here .
- Malzahar's voidling now dances when Malzahar dances as of the Mid-July Patch 2012
- He is one of the few champions in the league to have a pet, along with Annie, Heimerdinger, Mordekaiser, Orianna, and Lulu
- Malzahar's backstory is perhaps a reference to Abdul Alhazred from the Necronomicon, who became a prophet of Cthulhu after being compelled by visions to walk through the Arabian desert without any supplies.
- Shadow Prince Malzahar may be a reference to the Prince of Persia franchise.
- Vizier Malzahar is a reference to a title often held in Middle-Eastern governments, following his Middle-Eastern themes.
- Djinn Malzahar is an alternative spelling reference of Jinn. In Middle Eastern culture, a djinn is a great or evil spirit resembling a genie.
- Overlord Malzahar may be a reference to the Overlord video game franchise. His voidling represents the minions that serve The Overlord with their armor on.
- Malzahar is from the Shurima Desert and was born a Seer, blessed with the gift of foresight. His talent, though unrefined, promised to be one of Runeterra's greatest boons.
- Malzahar traveled to Icathia and saw visions of Void creatures consuming Runeterra. Believing this as an inevitable fate, Malzahar now serves the Void.
- Malzahar was the one who enticed 20px Kog'Maw into joining the League.
- Malzahar is the prophet of a growing subculture of Void cultists.
- Malzahar wishes for Kassadin to join forces with him. In Zaun, Malzahar tricked Kassadin into sending his daughter into the Void.