- Talon's most crucial stage of the game is his laning, where he needs to build an advantage over the enemy either through items or kills.
- Talon does benefit greatly from a solo lane and obtaining his ultimate faster, but his purely offensive kit can make it difficult to lane versus many champions without support. The champion he tends to do best against one-on-one are the squisher types, like mages or carries, his high burst damage easily overwhelming them.
- Rake is your best tool in the lane, allowing Talon to last-hit and harass from a decent range.
- Mercy allows Talon to deal more damage with each auto-attack on enemies that are affected by crowd control effects, therefore, laning with a champion that has decent early crowd control such as Gangplank will benefit Talon's early damage.
- Talon's high burst and Mercy goes hand in hand with most jungler's CC effects.
- Talon's harassment combo in-lane is Cutthroat followed by Rake and Noxian Diplomacy. This does good damage and the silence and slow help prevent retaliation.
- Try to perform this at least once prior to reaching level 6, so as to force opponents out of the lane due to the threat of dying to Shadow Assault.
- Talon is a hard champion to catch. Use Rake to slow pursuers, and Shadow Assault for the stealth and high movement speed. Change your path direction during stealth to juke and confuse your enemies. But keep in mind that the enemies can see where your blades travel when your stealth ends. So using the ability just to run can sometimes be better than running into the enemy jungle while trying to juke the enemies.
- Cutthroat can be used to ambush enemies behind thin walls, if they are close enough and you have line of sight. Alternatively, you can use Cutthroat on a minion near an enemy champion for a quick entry into battle.
- Noxian Diplomacy resets the autoattack timer, so use this ability after autoattacking to gain 2 hits in sucession.
- The bonus damage from Noxian Diplomacy can be used on turrets.
- Use Noxian Diplomacy in conjuction with Cutthroat and Mercy to maximize Talon's damage potential.
- Shadow Assault can be used both defensively or offensively. It can be used as either a tool for chasing an escaping champion or escaping a gank.
- One way to ensure Shadow Assault's return hits your target is to use Cutthroat, immediately ending the stealth and positioning yourself such that the blades are guaranteed to hit.
- Talon's basic move combo requires him to activate Shadow Assault then closing the gap with Cutthroat which will devastate an enemy. If this does not completely anhiliate an enemy continue with Rake to chase an enemy and if they still have not died, finish them with Noxian Diplomacy.
- Noxian Diplomacy reveals an enemy champion so be sure to use it on stealth champions such as an enemy Talon, Akali, Shaco, Wukong, et cetera.
- Noxian Diplomacy does not reveal stealth champs in a usual way (as , Lee Sin's Sonic Wave and Tempest, etc.).The target will leave a blood trail which can be helpful if facing champs with short stealth abilites ( Vayne, Shaco). Also you can use it on champion to prevent him or her from hiding in bush.
- When you are ganking/chasing enemy that has Flash or a similiar escape tool ( Ezreal, Gragas etc.) dont use your Cutthroat immediately, but simply run near him until he wastes his ability. However, be careful when he can jump over walls as you need vision of them to blink to them with Cutthroat.
- A good way to use your combo is to activate Noxian Diplomacy then Shadow Assault so that Noxian Diplomacy is active during your ult. Use Cutthroat to jump to an enemy then immediately toss out Rake so that when you hit with Noxian Diplomacy you get maximum burst. If you need to after that, then tag them with Ignite or chase until they die.
- Using Talon's Shadow Assault and Cutthroat when running into a battle will give you the most damage possible and since you're behind the enemy all of Shadow Assault's blades will hit your enemy.
- Talon will benefit well from damage items since all of his abilities scale with attack damage.
- attack damage possible, allowing Talon to farm minion waves easily with Rake early, and lifesteal for sustain. should be a core item in your build (maybe even the first after boots) as it grants you the highest amount of
- attack damage and the odd critical strike securing many a kill. is another great choice, with high
- Consider buying heavy armor penetration items like or because all of Talon's damage output is physical. However, it's not advised to buy both in one match.
- However armor penetration. In most cases Talon should be able to assasinate a target with his skills alone. requires you to hit an enemy 3 times with autoattacks or on hit affects before applying the full
- It is worth considering stacking flat armor penetration; getting both and will greatly increase your burst damage. Their unique combination of stats, attack damage, critical strike, cooldown reduction, and armor penetration, are all very useful for Talon.
- armor penetration or armor reduction item for Talon because Talon relies on taking out enemies too quickly for and doesn't really need the attack speed active of . might be the best
- You can choose between
, , or depending on the team you're facing. is good choice when you are roaming between lanes and focusing on ganks.
- cooldown reduction is rare for attack damage dealers as there are very few items that grant cooldown reduction and any other beneficial AD stat. is a good choice for boots because
- Talon as the majority of his damage doesn't come from autoattacks but from his abilities. may not be that beneficial to
- Pick crowd control that can lock Talon down. when facing a team with a good amount of
- An early Talon greatly, the regen granting both sustain with health regen and more freedom to use his abilities with mana regen. can help
- The Talon's Mercy passive.
and the legendary items it builds into, and , are useful for adding a slow to proc
- Talon survivability and a slow that allows him to constantly proc his Mercy passive. Do keep in mind that Talon is an assassin with a lot of escape spells, so your gold is probably better invested in damage rather than health, at least in early to midgame. is worth considering, as it grants
- Buying a Talon's burst, due to his low cooldown on his Noxian Diplomacy. or will greatly improve
- Although Talon's base attack damage or attack damage at level 18 isn't very high, he is one of the strongest champions to build when combined with his Mercy passive.
- Keep in mind that none of Talon's abilities will benefit from ability power even though, the mana and the passive from and later can make the items well worth it for Talon.
- Combination of attack damage is a first priority before getting much more tanky items.
and will make you tough enough to participate in teamfights without any problems. When you get focused, will prevent your death, with a little help of your team. However
- For these reasons items such as , and are good choices.
- damage. The critical strike chance, while unreliable also helps in kill efforts.
is a excellent item for the endgame, granting a good amount of survivability alongside a fair amount of extra attack
- This can also make more worthwhile.
- All of Talon's damage output is physical damage, investing in a or early (and higher-value armor items later) can significantly reduce his damage.
- Buying a tenacity item such as , or maybe a damage reduction item like , will make Mercy less useful.
- Talon is fairly squishy and vulnerable to harrasment during laning phase. Use this to your advantage but be aware that his Cutthroat and Rake can easily turn the engagement in his favor.
- Talon's reliance on burst damage is a heavy weakness against targets he can't quickly kill. Fighter champions tend to beat Talon, being durable enough to survive his combo and do enough damage to deal with Talon's squishy self afterwards - fighters with innate sustainability abilities in particular will survive Talon's combo and then just heal themselves back up.
- It is recommended to engage Talon when you think his Shadow Assault is on cooldown as it is his only escape mechanism. As Shadow Assault is his only escape mechanism, an can help your team focus him.
- Investing in True Sight items might be worth it to prevent Talon from escaping ganks or initiating on squishy allies of high priority for the team.
- Watch out for his Noxian Diplomacy and Cutthroat combo. It can deal significant damage and combined with Rake and his passive Mercy will deal significant amounts of damage within a few hits. Zone him when you can and press the advantage