- Volibear was designed by Volty.
- Volibear was the first champion to be released in Season Two.
- Volibear, the Thunder's Roar, is a response to the ongoing joke on the League of Legends forums regarding armored bears.
- The champion led to the creation of pro-armored bear and anti-armored bear factions, with leaders being the designers of the Riot Team, which eventually escalated to the Riot Wars.
- His name is derived from Travis 'Volibar' George, the Riot producer who first put forth the idea of an armored bear champion.
- Volibear is possibly inspired from the armored bears (most prominently Iorek Byrnison) that appear through out Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy, known as Panserbjørne (lit. 'armored bears', Danish/Norwegian origin). Atlantica's Druid Mercenary, Hero Naruk, also seems to be related.
- When there is an enemy Zilean present in game, Volibear will gain the Chronokeeper Hater Chronokeeper Hater icon with the text: "Not even Zilean could keep an armored bear out of the League of Legends".
- Volibear's dance is a reference to Sam B's dance from America's Got Talent. A side-by-side comparison can be seen here.
- In Volibear's Champion Spotlight, his skin names were on the opposite skins. The name "Thunder Lord" was on the Northern Storm skin and vice versa.
- Volibear's skill Rolling Thunder is the same name as Henry Fillmore's famous band piece, Rolling Thunder, featuring the low brass.
- Volibear has special quotes when slaying Zilean. Whenever Volibear slays Zilean, he will remark: "Your time has run out, Chronokeeper" or "I got a special claw for you, Zilean."
- This is the first time a champion kill triggers a quote.
- Volibear and Renekton are the only champions to reference another champion in their in-game speech.
- Northern Storm Volibear is a likely a reference to the Soviet Northern Front, a major military organization created during the Second World War.
- Thunder Lord Volibear is a more direct reference to Iorek Byrnison, the king of the Panserbjørne from the His Dark Materials trilogy.
- Volibear forged an alliance with Queen Ashe in the name of an unified Freljord.
- Due to the fact that the Riot design director, Zileas, was adamantly against the implementation of armored bears, Volibear and Zilean dislike each other.
- ↑ Should this game have armored bears? at LeagueofLegends.com
- ↑ Armored Bear Facts at LeagueofLegends.com
- ↑ The Armored Bear Manifesto at LeagueofLegends.com
- ↑ Enough With The Armored Bears at LeagueofLegends.com
- ↑ Brotherhood of the Armored Bear at LeagueofLegends.com
- ↑ A Guide to the Riot War and its Factions at LeagueofLegends.com
- ↑ The Riot War - Chapter 1 - The Incident at LeagueofLegends.com