- Gangplank is an excellent fighter in 1v1 situations due to his high single target damage output and CC removal. Always look for players out of position.
- Do not underestimate Parrrley's gold bonus when used for farming instead of harassment in early game.
- Remove Scurvy can allow him to stay in the lane for an extended period of time.
- Remove Scurvy will cancel suppression e.g. Nether Grasp and Infinite Duress Infinite Duress, though 玛尔扎哈的 Nether Grasp still does damage after the suppression is cancelled.
- In a desperate laning situation, Gangplank has a lot of ability to just stay in lane and farm as much as possible. Parrrley's range and mana cost reduction upon last-hits let Gangplank farm even with the enemy efforts to completely zone him, building gold per 10 items let him stay in the game despite the enemy controlling the lane (especially as its regeneration stats will be invaluable to such a situation), Cannon Barrage and Raise Morale can be used to quickly aid allies even if you are pushed to your turret, and Remove Scurvy sustains you against enemy harassment. This strategy would prefer maxing Raise Morale for the attack damage bonus to better allow you to last-hit under your turret, with Remove Scurvy as necessary to sustain and stay in lane. Leveling up Parrrley first in this situation is unpreferable due to the mana-cost increase while the gold-bonus increase gain is less useful than simply casting Parrrley again and gaining another last-hit, or having more attack damage from Raise Morale to gain more last-hits underneath the turret while Parrrley can be on cooldown.
- Raise Morale can be used defensively and offensively, to be able to move fast for both, and have extra damage for the latter.
- Gangplank's spells have considerable animation times. Take this into account when you plan on using Raise Morale or Remove Scurvy to escape a pursuer.
- Use Raise Morale when pushing a tower. This can quickly give you and your allies the boost you need to take down buildings, effectively allowing you and your team to rush towers and your enemies not having enough time to defend it.
- Cannon Barrage can be used across the map. You can help out in ganks/teamfights elsewhere, by assisting with the damage and massive AoE slow.
- Cannon Barrage can save a turret surrounded by minions, with some luck.
- Working as a team with other AoE abilities synergizes with your ultimate Cannon Barrage, such as 努努的Absolute Zero Absolute Zero, 兰博的 The Equalizer, 厄运小姐的 Bullet Time, 加里奥的Idol of Durand Idol of Durand, or 吉格斯的Mega Inferno Bomb Mega Inferno Bomb.
- If focused on farming and a strong late game, Gangplank's gold from Parrrley is complimented by lot of gold per 10 items such as , , or .
- Gangplank. His abilities' mana costs are significant when used frequently, and the health regeneration allows him to put more points into Raise Morale for more attack damage and movement speed if he doesn't need the sustain of Remove Scurvy while the crowd control removal of Remove Scurvy remains the same at rank 1 of it. is excellent for
- health. offers a respectable amount of
- critical strike chance and can be built into later on. grants a respectable amount of
- Because Parrrley applies on hit effects like , , , in addition to his own Grog Soaked Blade, they are all useful items.
- Even though Raise Morale offers Gangplank some additional attack damage, its duration is very short compared to its cooldown. More attack damage items should be added to compliment it.
- item. is a strong offensive
- Because Parrrley benefits from critical strike, critical strike chance and damage items are very strong. , , and will help maximize your damage output. would also be a good purchase.
- 'Tankplank' builds are very effective, offering survivability and a chance for Gangplank to fully utilize his skillset. It also allows Gangplank to increase his DPS as he builds towards an .
- Gangplank. along with are very effective for a tanky-DPS
- Gangplank, since 's bonus damage proc and slowing proc all apply to Parrrley as well as providing extra critical strike chance and movement speed which heavily increases Gangplank's damaging and chasing capabilities. is an excellent core item on
- Because and come at high costs, one might have to decide between or as the primary source of damage in a tanky build.
- A and could be a useful alternative to but at an even higher cost.
- Cooldown reduction items are fairly effective on Gangplank as most of his abilities ( Remove Scurvy, Raise Morale, and Cannon Barrage) have long cooldowns and they also allow Gangplank to use Parrrley as often as possible.
- The unique combination of stats in item slot. or can make it worth an
- Gangplank is effective at jungling, starting with a , though some runes are required to complete it.
- If you find Gangplank's mana issues especially troublesome, consider buying an early and building it into later on.
- Laning against Gangplank can be a bit frustrating. Parrrley has a fairly short cooldown and deals a lot of damage at early if it crits. Starting with and 5 will give you a lot of sustain and damage reduction to deal with this.
- 普朗克的 Remove Scurvy is very annoying to the casters that rely on crowd control to utilize their full combo. Save your hard crowd control until after he uses Remove Scurvy.
- Champions with multiple crowd control abilities, namely Blitzcrank, can significantly slow down Gangplank, despite his Remove Scurvy. Since this ability only removes the current debuff, one can use a "soft" CC ability (such as a slow) to force him to use Remove Scurvy, then utilize their "hard" CC (such as a stun or suppress) to really begin harassing him. Also keep in mind that AOE or constantly-reapplied CC (such as Yorick omen of pestilence, or Miss Fortune's ground AOE) are reapplied immediately after being removed, so with Remove Scurvy's cast time ends up actually taking longer to get past. Airborne CC (knockups/knockbacks, pulls) cannot be cleansed, so CC from Alistar and Blitzcrank are not countered.
- Although his early harassment is strong, Gangplank is fairly squishy in laning phase. Putting an aggressive pressure on his lane will weaken his strong mid/late game.
- Cannon Barrage has a huge AoE and global range. Quickly avoid the AoE if he uses it when you are escaping. Be aware of its potential to appear at any time/location.
- Countering Gangplank requires starving him of his farm, get an early advantage by pushing him out of the lane, and forcing him to play with more risk than he would usually like. Teams should also consider prioritizing him as a target for ganks and in team fights depending on his build and his allies.
- Being aware of his Remove Scurvy would give you an advantage as the ability's cooldown if fairly long compared to the amount of cc available within your kit. Casting a minor cc skill would force a Gangplank to use this ability and press your damage as much as possible within the interval of his Remove Scurvy