- Master Yi was designed by Ezreal.
- "Wuju" is a reference to two of the developers at Riot Games. Namely, Andy Woo and Jeff Jew.
- "Wuju", or "Wuji", is the grey field a taijitu (the yin-yang symbol) is traditionally shown on, symbolizing "nothingness".
- It bears similarity to "Wushu", the collective name of Chinese martial arts, mostly known as Kung-fu in western countries.
- Master Yi was one of the champions chosen for the Ionian pool available during the Ionia vs. Noxus match. However, he was not one of the selected champions.
- Whenever Master Yi kills someone there is an explosion effect, which is the same as Sion's shield.
- The goggles Master Yi wears (known as the Seven Lenses of Insight) seem to be an over-exaggeration of trifocal Night Vision goggles, and according to his background, provide a similar effect, allowing him to "see across a wider range of the spectrum". They were made and given to him by Heimerdinger. His costume and the goggles bring strong resemble to Sam Fisher from Splinter Cell game franchise,
- Yi is the Chinese word for one.
- Master Yi's dance is based on Napoleon Dynamite. Notably, he shares his dance's source with Katarina, but her dance is a different part of the same dance.
- A fan joke video give birth to a popular troll build called Dunkmaster Yi, focusing on going really fast, and the catchphrase "get dunked!".
- Chosen Master Yi is a direct reference to the Jedi Knights of the Star Wars franchise.
- Headhunter Master Yi's clothing bears many resemblances with the Predator from the Predator movies and Alien vs Predator franchise.
- Master Yi's entire kinfolk were killed with chemical inventions created by Singed.
- Master Yi seeks the end of Noxus' predations.
- Master Yi often spends his time meditating and training near the Great Barrier, south of the Institute of War.
- Master Yi tutored Wukong in the art of Wuju.