- Zyra was designed by Morello, who came up with the idea. Coronach and CertainlyT did most of her design.
- Zyra is voiced by Karen Strassman, Who also voices Cassiopeia, Fiora, Shyvana, and Elise.
- Morello stated this champion was inspired by Sadida's Shoe, a character class from the Dofus/Wakfu games.
- Zyra's Rise of the Thorns is similar to the Sadida's Still Life. Sadida revives as an Ultra-Powerful Doll, while Zyra turns into a large plant.
- Zyra's Rampant Growth Rampant Growth is similar to Sadida's Doll Seeds, as both types of seeds have different forms depending on the spells used on them.
- Zyra's Grasping Roots Grasping Roots is similar to Sadida's Bramble, as both cover the enemy in thorny roots and deal damage.
- Zyra is the 4th champion to have an ability that allow the champion to attack after death. Zyra's ability is Rise of the Thorns, while the others are 卡尔萨斯的 Death Defied, 20px 克格'莫的 Icathian Surprise and 约里克的Omen of Death Omen of Death.
- Zyra's co-creator, CertainlyT, hinted in the LoL forums that Zyra has three hidden passives. They're confirmed to be:
- Zyra's dance resembles the basic movements for the dance "Cha-cha-cha".
- Zyra's passive was called Queen of Thorns Queen of Thorns before being changed to Rise of the Thorns.
- Zyra is the fourth champion to have a special animation while using Recall or Teleport in which she looks up and extends red vines in her arms touching the ground.
- The word "Zyra" means "Arena" in Hebrew.
- Zyra is the fourth champion to be able to transform, albeit hers has a different mechanic than Nidalee, Swain, Shyvana and Elise.
- Zyra's passive Rise of the Thorns has a cyan hue in her Champion Spotlight instead of green.
- Wildfire Zyra is possibly a reference to the Flame Atronach from the Elder Scrolls games.
- Classic Zyra bears a striking resemblance to Blackthorn Morgana, from skin color down to how their "clothes" appear like foliage growing from the body.