|“||"Yordles. Why did it have to be yordles?"|
The Yordle are a race of spirits who generally take the appearance of mammalian bipeds. They mostly reside in a mystical place known as Bandle City, though some of them have ventured out to live in numerous locations around Runeterra.
Other Related Champions
- Kinkou Order. fought alongside in the
- Shuriman rumored to be a yordle. , an ancient
- is a partner-for-explosions with .
- Watchers after realizing her mistake. froze by accident when freezing the
- is the cause of suffering and obsession with evil, and is notably able to see right through Yordle glamours and tricks.
- sank several Bilgewater ships that accidentally took gold offerings from.
- survived attack.
- Kinkou Order. leads and the
- and fought Yordles in the past. While Graves is quite willing to attempt to capture Yordles for the apparent high bounty they bring in, Twisted Fate refuses because "messing with Yordles brings a whole heap of trouble."
- fought alongside .
- is a magical cat familiar to a Yordle Enchantress named Norra.
Yordles come from self-contained pockets within the spirit realm, with no direct "mirror" in the material realm of Runeterra. The origin of this race on Runeterra is unknown but can be traced back to a prehistoric time when there were no civilizations on land thanks to the existence of Fizz, an amphibious yordle. Most would agree that Yordles resided on Valoran during its prehistoric times. At that time they were a nomadic race, travelling from one part of Valoran to the other. Records show they had presence in Ancient Freljord. They lived in tight neat family groups as well as near early humans. Because of their small stature, they were mostly prey for many animals. During prehistoric times they had tails and front canine teeth.
Overtime as human civilizations advanced, so did yordles' appearances and capabilities. To easily blend in human areas, yordles at one point started using an ability called "Glamour", which gave them the appearance of short humans.
To this day, most yordles stay inside the mystical spiritual realm known as Bandle City, only venturing out on rare occasions. There are numerous gateways across Runeterra that yordles, and other knowledgeable and perceptive individuals, are able to use to get to in and out of Bandle City.
What differentiates yordles from other magical folk is that their physiology is more consistent between its members.
Yordles are sometimes sexually dimorphic and much shorter than humans; both sexes rarely exceed 1 meter tall, with most averaging between 0.5 and 0.8 meters. Their skin texture ranges from being lightly covered in fur, to moderately fuzzy, to ultimately being excessively bushy. Their hands have four digits while their feet differ greatly depending on the individual (from four to two digit feet). Their fur tones run a much broader spectrum of colors than their human counterparts; some consider this to be a sign of the yordles’ attunement to Runeterra's magical nature; though scientists agree that this evolutionary trait is used by male Yordles (which tend to be more fuzzy) to attract females of their species (which tend to be lightly covered with fur). Their large eyes feature a large, circular iris with a vertically oval pupil, and they generally have inferior vision in the normal spectrum of light than humans. Yordles nevertheless have much better hearing, due to their large fox-like ears and are able to see into the infrared spectrum of light, whereas humans cannot. Furthermore, they are commonly characterized by their dependence on language, as well as their creation and utilization of complex tools.
Yordles do not age in the same way as beings of the material realm do thanks to being creatures of the spirit realm. Demacia about 1000 years ago. and are far more ancient, though their survival may be due to hibernation.was already alive and independent when she befriended Orlon, on his way west to establish a new, fledgling nation to be eventually called
The yordle race have shown the possibility to be amphibious, such example would be  though it is possible he is a mutant or a heretofore unknown genetic offshoot.,
Yordles can somewhat be considered spirits due to their connection to the spirit realms.
Due to their physiology, yordles are vulnerable to being imprisoned inside cages made of Runic Iron. Touching Runic Iron gives yordles an electrical-like shock, and will disrupt their magic.
In less enlightened parts of the world, a yordle's appearance could seem frightening or unnatural to mortals. Fortunately, they are adept at blending in, and often protected by a kind of supernatural glamour—subconsciously fading from the viewer's notice, or being masked as a less remarkable individual.
Yordles do not necessarily control their glamour, and may understand it in a variety of ways. The revered inventor Heimerdinger, for example, crafted unique technological devices for himself and Ziggs, to help them blend into Piltovan society. However, some humans are able to break this charm due to their more perceptive nature.
|“||"Yordles are the reason no-one takes us Vastaya seriously."|
The Yordle race have innate magic within them which helps them achieve extraordinary things usually impossible for someone of their stature. Also, they require far more social interaction with their own kind than humans do. They generally are a peaceful and amicable race, often marked with streaks of joviality and light prankishness; their moral compass is most often pointed toward goodness and benevolence. Their desire for social interaction drives them toward this ethos, as the mental health of a yordle is very much dependent on the positive company he or she keeps. This does not mean, however, that they are incapable of cruelty and evil. In fact, a yordle who is kept in isolation for too long – especially from contact with other yordles – runs the risk of becoming withdrawn and sullen. Some who already are centered more toward malevolence will become exceedingly so in due course. These yordles will often twist their desire for social interaction into a desire to seek out others to inflict pain and suffering upon them, one extreme example being. Yordles are attracted to Runeterra cultures and enjoy manifesting around certain human ideals.
- The origin of the word "Yordle" came from a dream that Paul 'Pabro' Bellezza had. He had a dream about Yoda and Yaddle from Star Wars, and woke up saying "Yordles".
- Yordles were previously divided into Yordles and Meglings. The yordles were often seen furry in appearance, while the Meglings had blue skin. Since the "Yordle Unification Pass" development project, both sides of the same race have been unified to share similar features.
- While originally envisioned as a human child
has been described as a Yordle for most of his presence in the game. His current state is left intentionally ambiguous, with characters in his lore commenting on the possibility of him being a yordle while others scoff at the idea.
- might have been the first and the last Yordle emperor of Ancient Shurima.
- Yordles have been shown to use a visual transmorgrification charm to look human, which may have a role in the ambiguity of his identity.
- According to a recognition scan made by , a Yordle's physiology appears to be "99% fur, 1% glee."
- Most yordles were listed as rivals to Riot's official site.
- All Yordles have encountered  at various times. This is because of their races specific nature that makes them more perceptible to inner demons when socially outcast. When not, they are hard to be manipulated, which is why almost all Yordles are seen by this demon as rivals.
- Some say Yordles know secret ways through Runeterra others cannot perceive.
- Vastaya, or that humans mistakenly label them as Vastayan. states that Yordles are often erronously thought to be related to the
- , and . , and are credited for the creation of
- In the comic Paint the Town, it is known that:
- It is unclear if Yordles are spirits in lore, despite a few champions mentioning them as spirits.
- Yordle Unification Pass