means "bent outwards, bow-legged" in Latin, in contrast with "bent inwards, knock-kneed";
- Ancient Romans used this adjective as a cognomen to describe persons with that bent their legs outwards like bows.
- Humorously, the fact that his name is the term for a knee deformity and the fact that Varus is an archer could be a reference to the famous "Arrow to the Knee" meme of .
- Varus was the first champion to be released in Season Two with only one alternative skin, with subsequent champions following this pattern.
- The Pallas temple references the epithet Παλλάς, meaning "youth, girl", of Pre-Greek goddess 
- Later Greek writers re-identified as a killed by Athena, interpreting Pallas as "brandisher", from πάλλω pállō.
- Varus is, along with , , , , , , , and , one of the few champions that can apply crowd control on themselves.
- Varus' body style is similar to the one of Solus, the T'Lan leader from the game Breakdown.
- Varus is the first of three dark-themed champions with a light-themed skin, the second being
and the third being .
- Of these three, Varus' skin is the only one not of the Justicar theme.
- Varus (along with Voidborn champions) is technically nude. The "pants" that he is wearing are actually the manifestation of the corruption. , , , , , , , and all
- Varus is implied to be ambidextrous, as evidenced by having two skin arts that have him holding his bow in his left hand and the other two having it in his right.
- However, Varus is most likely right eye dominant, since archers traditionally wield their bow according to their eye-dominance rather than their hand-dominance, due to the fact that he only holds his bow in his left hand in-game.
- Varus is around 3496 years old as he Ascended during the Icathian rebellion against Shurima.
- He is currently on the quest to find other remaining Darkins in Shurima 
- His namesake might be the infamous Roman general , who foolishly led three Roman legions to their demise during the . While League of Legends' Varus defends his charge but loses everything to the Noxian invaders, to which he vows revenge.
- Varus is in a state of transformation. He made a decision to sacrifice his humanity (in fact his very self) to gain the means to achieve revenge. The pants are the manifestation of the corruption overtaking him. He only has so much time before it will overtake him.
- His pale appearance is of a man whose life is slipping away or being drained. As far as his face, you could find people with many different appearances in all the respective regions of Valoran.
- The Owl insignia on his chest has been passed down through generations of "watchers".
- In Greek mythology, Greek goddess is associated with the .
- Varus' title "The Arrow of Retribution" strongly resembles title "The Spear of Vengeance".
- His lore bears some similarities with the blighted Archers from .
- The Talisman he has on his chest is a memento from his family.
- His headdress is an ornament of his office.
- Varus would be considered Lawful Neutral, or Lawful Anti-Noxian Invader.
- He is voiced by Gavin Hammon, who also voices and .
- During development he was called Jubei.
- Varus' is a rework of old ability which (while active) would reduce her movement speed to increase range.
- The League of Legends art team worked with Gabe and Tycho from Penny Arcade to make a "special edition" champion sneak peek for Varus.
- Riot wanted to deliver some of the creepy, fluid feeling of the corruption, it was important to give Varus a forceful, solid, strong weapon that you could identify him with instead of feeling like (as you do for instance with the T1000 from Terminator 2) the bow was just one piece of a big bag of tricks. Also, the visual impact of his animations with a sturdy bow was extremely satisfying.
- The visual effects designer for Varus' log-in screen was Anthony Possobon.
- "I do what I must." is similar to "We do what we must."
- "Beware a man with nothing to lose." is based on an Italian proverb "Beware of one who has nothing to lose".
- "No turning back." is similar to "No turning back now." and "There's no turning back."
- His look and ability animations were inspired by the anime movie, .
- He might be a reference to the MMORPG
, where the undead would use Blight Crystals alike to the ones in the splash art to corrupt other creatures.
- "I am forsaken." is also spoken by the undead from the same MMORPG.
- This skin shares the Arclight theme with:
- This skin maybe a nod towards previous Ascended form.
- It is the second light-themed skin for dark Ionian Champions, the first being .
- Varus' bow in this skin is similar to the Bow of Light from The Legend of Zelda game series.
- The arc on his back resembles the arc of The Savior from Devil May Cry 4.
- This skin shares the Arctic Ops theme with:
- He has a similar design to soldiers in the Battlefield series of video games.
- This skin shares the Heartbreakers theme with:
- He was released in celebration of Valentine's Day 2015 along with:
- This skin is directly inspired by , Greek god of desire, erotic love, attraction and affection; among whose paraphernalia were the bow & arrows. His Roman is .
- This skin was proposed by SuperKusoKao from deviantART.
- This skin shares the Riftquest theme with:
- H was released along with:
- He references a traditional .
- Varus has the tied to his quiver.
- His appearance resembles somewhat of the from the " " series.
- Also bears a strong resemblance to Drizzt Do'Urden: Ranger of the North from the world of The Forgotten Realms in the Dungeons of Dragons series.
- This skin shares the Event Horizon theme with:
- His appearance closely resembles that of (Cosmic entity).
- This skin shares the World Championship theme with:
- This skin shares the Infernal theme with:
- It is hinted in his lore that Varus may have been imprisoned in his bow, by a possible previous avatar of the
- This warrior-queen used him to destroy the gateway to the Darkin World, and later sealed the bow in the land that would later be known as Ionia.
- Varus was released from his prison by two Ionian beast hunters,
- Valmar had hoped that the well imprisoning Varus would heal Kai. It did but it released Varus as well as fused their bodies together.
- deceased younger brother shares the same name with Kai, however neither are the same person; as Kai is a very common Navorian name.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.