- For the virtual band and associated content, see True Damage
True damage is one of the three types of basic damage in League of Legends. True damage ignores resistances ( armor and magic resistance), damage reduction, (e.g. , , Exhaust) and damage amplification (e.g. , , ).
True damage can be dealt as a damage over time effect.
Blocking true damage
- Abilities or summoner spells which deal true damage are still blocked by spell shield, unless otherwise noted.
- Parries can block the true damage from basic attacks and on-hit effects.
- Invulnerability will block all types of damage including true damage.
Countering true damage
True damage cannot be mitigated or reduced, but there are ways to deal with it:
- Stacking health causes sources of flat true damage (e.g. Ignite) to effectively deal a lesser percentage of total health.
- Universal shields can absorb true damage at any amount.
Dealing true damage
- and with upgrade
- Summoner spells
- Despite popular belief, champions whose abilities have health costs associated with them do not deal true damage to themselves when they use an ability which requires health to cast.
- This can be evidenced when they have a shield on them. When they use their health-based ability, the cost of health penetrates the shield and directly drains the health of the user, in contrary to true damage that has to break any shield on the target to reach their health. This also applies to invulnerability.
- The Nexus Obelisk deals a unique form of true damage that additionally bypasses every damage-event related effect in the game, including shields, , , and invulnerability effects. Furthermore, since it doesn't register as a damage event, it will not flag the champion with 'in combat' status, with some exceptions. This is classified as internal raw.
- If the target becomes untargetable after the turret's attack wind up started, the turret will drop aggro but that specific attack will still fire and hit the target through untargetability.
- As of patch V3.15, true damage is no longer amplified by abilities such as and .