Thornmail is an advanced item in League of Legends. Tanks benefit most from it, when the opposing team has high basic attack damage output. League of Legends calculates Thornmail's reflected damage before armor reduces the damage. This means you can reflect more damage than you ultimately take if you have at least 234 effective armor (i.e. after reductions and penetration). Thornmail deals magic damage, and so the target's magic resistance will reduce it.
- is best used to counter champions that mainly rely on basic attacks such as and .
- armor items, and , because it protects only the wearer instead of the entire team.
is not valued as highly as the other two high
- It is still a cheap item to counter many champions and should be considered not only by tanks.
- on-hit effects. For example, deals only magic damage, but still procs unique passive.
reflects both physical and magic damage; the only determining factor in its trigger is whether the attack is defined as proccing
- The damage reflection works with basic attacks and skills which apply on-hit effects, but not with any damage resulting from on-hit effects (e.g. damage from ).
- Blind counts as a form of damage mitigation and is thus applied after life steal, however, is not applied while blinded. , i.e. damage is still reflected even though none is actually done. It is important to note that
- Damage returned from will break passives which are removed by champion damage such as , , and . It will also drag tower aggro.
- It is one of the few items mentioned in The Proving Grounds tutorial.
- Currently, this item offers the largest amount of armor, being slightly above 99 armor.
- Starter items
- Potions and Consumables
- Basic items
- Advanced items
- Finished items
- Minion and Turret items
- Special Game Mode Exclusive items
- Removed items