The Ruined King Saga is a series of skins in League of Legends that tell the story of return to the world of Runeterra. Each skin is a canon depiction of how the champion was affected by the Ruined King's return.
- The Black Mist gathers, the Harrowing comes, and the Ruined King has risen once more. Viego's corruption blankets Runeterra, turning friends into foes and bringing entire nations to their knees. The only ones with the power to stop him are the Sentinels of Light: an ancient order led by Senna and Lucian. They must call upon champions from every corner of the realm to fight back the Black Mist and end the Ruined King's reign of terror once and for all.
- Ruined Champions
A showman no matter the circumstance, Draven challenged Viego to a duel that the Glorious Executioner immediately lost, resulting in his ruination. Unlike his ruined brethren, little has changed about Draven save for a white shock hair on his head and a slightly more vicious personality than usual.
Viego's powers were so incredible that he was able to bend the wills of some of Runeterra's most charismatic icons. And while most simply accepted their fate, there were the odd few cases of extreme personality lingering...
"CHECK ME OUT--I'M RUINED, FOOLS!"
"It's Ruination time!" - Draven ( , )
- ( , )
Energized by a mysterious amulet containing Viego of Camavor and wielding the Blade of the Ruined King, Gangplank's personality erupted as he raged in search of the long-lost Isolde. Though ultimately freed of the King's influence by a group of heroes, he carries the experience with him... a reminder, perhaps, of true power.
Surviving the initial ruination of Ionia, Karma is ultimately lost during a second one led by Viego himself. With the Spirit of Ionia itself removed from the continent, the Ionian people must band together to save one another, even as Karma twists the souls of millions to a new, horrific purpose.
"Balance in all things. With joy, sorrow. With hope, despair. With life... death."
"Light cannot exist without darkness." ( )
- ( )
Miss Fortune thought that being the Pirate Queen of Bilgewater would be enough. Even with her revenge complete, Sarah now faced a new chaos with Bilgewater's factions vying for control. Viego's arrival offered her an opportunity to seize the strength needed to crush anyone beneath her heel, even if it came at a price.
The Mist did not just subsume Atreus, but also resurrected the long-dead spirit of Pantheon: the old Aspect of War himself. With Atreus' stubborn defiance silenced, Pantheon can resume control and revel in battle once again. It doesn't matter to him whose banner he fights under. If that banner is the Ruined King's? So be it.
Pantheon was defeated once, but with all of Runeterra on the line now Atreus must defeat it himself. Seizing back control from the Aspect of War, Atreus harnesses the celestial power of Targon itself—briefly becoming not just a vessel or an Aspect, but something new. Something immensely powerful and entirely his own.
Shyvana's ruination brings a newfound darkness, as well as clarity. Turning swiftly against Demacia for its persecution of magic, and sinking into her more draconic emotions, she appears as an avenging beast of old, ready to topple Demacia for its ignorance.
The people of Demacia had always treated Shyvana with distrust and suspicion, as if she might at any moment shed her humanity and turn on them. It wounded her deeply... and stoked the fire of her rage.
If it was a monster they wanted... then a monster she would be. ( )
- ( )
- Sentinels of Light
The Ruination of Targon and the loss of the Aspect of War devastated the Rakkor tribes. But the only way to fight an Aspect's power is with another Aspect—and so Diana takes up her blade as a member of the Sentinels, knowing that Viego would destroy everything the moonlight touches.
The Sentinels followed the Black Mist to Targon, where it had begun to encroach on the mountains. Diana stood as a bulwark against it, radiating light in the dark, just as the moon shines brightly in a starless sky.
Fingers of Black Mist reached for Diana, questing for her anguish, her sorrow, her fear. But the Chosen of the Moon, daughter of the Lunari, and Sentinel of Targon shone with a light so radiant that no shadow could ever take hold. ( )
- ( )
Graves could give a damn about saving the world, but the Ruined King is getting in the way of his criminal undertakings, and that he cannot abide. When the Sentinels come calling, Graves reckons he can play the hero for once—long enough to make sure there's a world left to rob, anyway.
After the fall of the Ionian Grand Temple, Irelia could not stand idly by while her home was ravaged by the Black Mist. Deputized by the Sentinels, she fights the Ruination as one of their comrades: a natural-born leader who understands the threat that Ruined Karma poses, she will stop at nothing to save the Spirit of Ionia.
When she first faced the Mist, Irelia knew her blades would not find the same purchase against the incorporeal and the undead, but that she must try to stop them regardless. Her home, and so many others', was at stake.
The Sentinels saw Irelia's spirit for what it was; a shining beacon of hope, determination, and strength. It was that which imbued her blades, and they flew farther, and cut deeper, than ever before.
"Stand firm, Sentinels. Remember what you must protect." - Irelia
"Follow my lead, Sentinels. I will show you how to dance." - Irelia
"You know the Light, but you do not know its song. Until you have found your feet, I will lead." - Irelia
"Even, balanced, and finely honed. This is a blade that will cut through darkness." - Irelia ( , , , , )
- ( , , , , )
After a vicious encounter on the Freljordian front, Olaf is convinced to join the Sentinels to satiate his hunger for battle. Only then would he have the power to challenge Viego, the greatest threat the world has ever known, and satisfy his urge to fearlessly face death in glorious combat.
Pyke may seem an unlikely Sentinel to take up the oath, but Viego's name is next on his list. Pacified—for now—by the influence of Nagakabouros, the real danger is that he might snap at any moment, killing allies and enemies alike.
What game is bigger than a King? As a hunter, Rengar could not pass up the opportunity to take on what would be his ultimate prey, and the ultimate trophy. Even with Sentinel weapons in hand, they will need the skills of a true apex predator to take Viego down.
Riven joins the Sentinels hoping to atone for her role in the Noxian invasion of Ionia. After fighting her way out of a rapidly destabilizing City of Noxus, she understands that her time may be fleeting. However, she believes her life is a small price to pay to make amends.
Even that which is fragmented can be made whole, reforged in purifying light.
All repaired objects show their wear, yet light shines through their cracks, showing the beauty of things broken and remade stronger. ( )
- ( )
Ever striving to become a better monster hunter, Vayne joins the Sentinels primarily to advance her own arsenal and learn from their battle with the Black Mist. It doesn't hurt that she is also defending Runeterra from evil, of course. If she must endure the friendship of a fool like Graves to do so, she will. The cause is worth it.
- Sea Dogs
Empowered by the Buhru during his fight against Viego of Camavor, Yasuo made an unlikely champion for the children of Nagakabouros—his obsession with past events flew in the face of everything they believed in. Yet even the mangiest sea dog has his day, and Yasuo stood against the forces of darkness, emerging triumphant.
- Unbound Champions
With every soul the Ruination seized, Thresh's lantern burned brighter. He had planned for this moment, after all: the chance to scour far beyond the Shadow Isles, the Mist's reach so much greater than his own. Reaping all he had so meticulously sown, Thresh was at last unbound from the shackles of the isles. He had forgotten how good it feels to have skin...
As the mist spread, Thresh awakened a previously untapped well of energy and, bolstered by the Black Mist, reclaimed power he thought long lost among the Blessed Isles.
He seized soul after soul, relishing their agony. Each one was reduced to a mere glowing fleck within his lantern, yet it shone brightly. ( )
- ( )
Rise of the Sentinels
A Night at the Inn
- The Ruined champions transformation process was shown in the Ruination cinematic with and . However they were only temporarily possessed during that time.
- Karma fell to Rise of the Sentinels. corruption in a second attack during
- debuted as an event token exclusive skin during the Sentinels of Light event before returning to the store in V11.20 as a 750 RP skin.
- During development, there was a pool of around 40 champions in consideration of either becoming a Sentinel or becoming Ruined.
- Most of the Ruined champions were chosen because they had a connection to the Sentinel you would meet in their respective region:
- was chosen to be counterpart due to their history in the Reckoner's Arena.
- was chosen to be counterpart due to their shared history.
- was chosen to continue her story arc from Ruined King, showing how desperate she had become to reclaim Bilgewater from .
- was chosen to show the extent of Viego's power, being able to resurrect the Aspect of War.
- was chosen to be counterpart due to Shyvana being monstrous and Vayne being a monster hunter.
- depicts Thresh freed from the Shadow Isles, after siphoning excess Black Mist during Rise of the Sentinels.
- An Unbound skin was planned as  release skin, but was scrapped when her release was delayed.
- represents a "what-if" scenario where Atreus managed to wrest back control of his body from Pantheon, rather than being defeated and Pantheon being subsumed back into his mind.
- differs from the rest of the Ruined champions due to willingly accepting offer.
- Hextech Mayhem. has a Ruined skin exclusive to
- Ruined King.
, , , , and have Ruined skins exclusive to
- Yasuo also has a skin in League of Legends.
- has a different version of her Ruined skin in Ruined King.
- was released as a charity skin and 100% of revenue generated from July 8th, 2021 to August 9th, 2021 was donated to the Riot Games Social Impact Fund.
- Related Videos
- Related Videos