- For champion abilities, see champion ability. For the Legends of Runeterra card type, see Spell (Legends of Runeterra).
Summoner spells are abilities that players can use for their champions on the Fields of Justice.
They are chosen in Champion Select before the start of the game. Each player is allowed two summoner spells chosen from a list. Summoner spells can be used in-game to aid a player's champion in various ways, as each spell has a unique effect. Some summoner spells increase in effectiveness relative to your champion's level, but some provide the same effect at champion level 1 as they do at champion level 18. They do not have any cost other than their cooldown.
All summoner spells, excluding cast-inhibiting crowd control, with the exceptions of stasis and suppression. The aforementioned summoner spells are also disabled while grounded or rooted, as they cause the caster to move., , , and / , can be used while under the effects of
Available summoner spells
A summoner spell's availability is based on the player's summoner level. At summoner level one, a player begins with 2 summoner spells to choose from. Then as a summoner reaches new levels, they unlock new summoner spells, up to summoner level 9.
Standard summoner spells
Summoner spell upgrades/variants
Special summoner spell upgrades or replacements can be made available when certain criteria are met.
Reducing the cooldown
There are three ways to reduce the cooldown of summoner spells.
The 15 second cooldown ofis not affected by summoner spell cooldown reduction, but the rate at which charges are generated is affected.
Featured Game Mode summoner spells
Some summoner spells are only available during certain featured game modes.
Removed summoner spells
These summoner spells were, at one point, removed from the game.
- Upon starting a match in Summoner's Rift, all summoner spells are placed on a 15-second cooldown.
- In-game Summoner Spell icon tooltips always show the true cooldown, after rune and item bonuses. Cooldown display may take a few seconds to update after items have been acquired or sold.[may need confirmation for enemy summoner spells]
- Spells are map-specific. For example, if you play ARAM on Summoner's Rift, the available spells are Summoner's Rift spells.
- Legend of the Poro King (Howling Abyss), Odyssey: Extraction (Crash Site) and Nexus Siege (Summoner's Rift) use or did use game mode specific summoner spells.
- In Ultimate Spellbook, one of the summoner spell slots is replaced by a placeholder summoner spell that is used to grant a champion's ultimate.
- A few summoner spells originated as alpha items, such as having roots in the items and .
- This may be a borrowed gameplay design choice from DotA where powerful gameplay effects similar to summoner spells were accessible to players through items.