Among the secretive, Ionian warriors known as the Kinkou, serves as their leader, the Eye of Twilight. He longs to remain free from the confusion of emotion, prejudice, and ego, and walks the unseen path of dispassionate judgment between the spirit realm and the physical world. Tasked with enforcing the equilibrium between them, Shen wields blades of steel and arcane energy against any who would threaten it.
|"The Eye is blind to fear, to hate, to love - to all things that would sway equilibrium." — Shen|
- Shen leads the surviving Kinkou which has a great conflict of interest with Order of Shadow and its defiance of Ionia's sacred balance.
remains by his side while went rogue.
- She and 
parted on neutral terms. Neither hates the other but both disapprove of the other's methods.
- After and made their choice, Shen is starting to doubt whether the old way still works.
- She and 
- remains by his side while went rogue.
- Shen and
are childhood friends and used to consider each other as brother before "murdered" Master Kusho.
- Master Kusho, Shen, and Zed were responsible for capturing and imprisoning , but were traumatised by the Golden Demon's actions in the process.
- Later on, when Jhin was set free again, Zed sought out Shen in order to inform him about Jhin's reappearance and to team up with him to stop him. Shen, despite still wishing to avenge his father's death, accepted the truce for the greater good.
- The duo later saved a captured from and caught him.
- Shen is torn between killing Zed to avenge his father Kusho (the Kinkou's previous master and wielder of the ) and enforcing equilibrium with the spirit realm (his duty takes priority, but he won't hesitate if given the chance).
- Zed could have revealed the truth about Kusho to Shen but then decided it was better for Shen to be disillusioned with Zed than to be disillusioned with his own father. That's probably not fair, and maybe Shen has a right to know. But Zed is flawed... and blinded by his need to feel he's worthy and honorable.
- Shen was arranged to be married to Yevnai but the engagement was called off after
"killed" Master Kusho.
-  and Yevnai were at one point secretly in a relationship even when forbidden by Master Kusho, unknown to Shen though he possibly suspected it.
- Shen means spirit, holy, or deity; from Mandarin shén [ʂə̃n˧˥] 神 < OC *m-lin.
- The Eye of Twilight is the title for the leader of the Kinkou Order, entrusted with the sacred duty of Watching the Stars - exercising judgment untainted by prejudice.
- Ionia considers twilight as a time of when dark and light are in balance.
was originally considered for the title The Eye of Twilight before he left the Order, which forced Shen to take it.
- Shen wanted to leave the Kinkou Order to defend Ionia from Noxus during the first invasion but chose to stay mostly because of leaving the order. "With Zed having been cast out and his father fighting a political battle within the Kinkou. If Shen left, or was caught helping the war effort, he would be really, really stabbing his father in the heart. He and Zed were exceptional, they were the presumed next generation of leaders (akali was still a child). He was needed by the Kinkou. 'Cause basically somebody still had to fight demons and ghosts. So I think Shen was really, really unhappy then and wanted out, but he stayed. His friend had left, his girl was leaving him (or had left), and the family and organization he'd grown up in was fighting internally. Maybe not in violence, but we can assume many angry emotional arguments were happening in the Kinkou's halls. So would you walk away from your dad? Your family? And the organization your family gave its life to? When they needed you the most? This is why I think Shen is a hero. Not because he obtained some perfect Buddha like state or wisdom... but exactly because he didn't. Because that job is hard... and Shen saw that someone had to do it. And even more importantly because Shen didn't want any of this: Shen didn't want to be the Eye of the Twilight. He doesn't want to limit all of his emotions. He doesn't want to look at the big picture. He doesn't want to be a leader of the order. He didn't want to stay with his dad. None of it. But for all of these things... he tried to be calm and do what he believed and what he had been taught to believe the right thing was. So... both now and back then, I think Shen is a man desperately trying understand what the right thing to do is. And I think Shen is a man desperately trying to do the right thing, even though its cost him everything he ever wanted... Because ultimately i just think that is a more heroic and human character than a perfect Buddha. (Not that I don't like Buddha... but you get the idea.)"
- He uses 2 blades: the Spirit blade to cut the spirits and the steel saber to cut the living.
- The spirit blade has a vessel on his back that only comes off when he attacks. He can separate the blades power for his shield without moving the vessel.
- He is between 33– 35 years old.
- He was the same age as present day (or around 19 years old) when he first caught .
- Shen's , previously known as , is one of the fighting ways of a combat technique known as Ki. also seems to have mastered the technique of .