Shapeshifters are champions that transform into an altered and usually more powerful state. They are a more defense oriented class, their transformed state get a bonus to their maximum health and a good portion of the champions in this class are tanky already. All Shapeshifters besidescan only cast their ability once, for better or for worse.
- Since most Shapeshifters only cast their special ability once, after they cast it, they are essentially immune to any mana draining or ability stopping effects, like Demon, and . ,
- Shapeshifters want the battle to last at least long enough for them to activate their special abilities, so Shapeshifters naturally do better against traits that wait to deal their damage. Elementalists and Sorcerers want to use their special abilities to try to destroy their opponents with a single high damage ability, by the time they build up enough mana, Shapeshifters could have more than enough health for them to do enough damage in one ability.
- Wild is a nice partner for Shapeshifters. Two Shapeshifters already are Wildlings, and the buff that Wild gives is a nice addition to the boosted attack that most Shapeshifters get in their transformed state.
- Shapeshifter's gain health based on a percentage when they transform, so items based on using health to your advantage are welcome. Items like , and play off a champions health. can also be used to achieve a similar effect for the champion equipped with it.
- Shapeshifters can be used as effective tanks with defensive items like Guardians, and Knights are some of the best partners for this role. , and . Teammates can supply some defense too,
- Shapeshifters should avoid items that are built from . Most of these items will be absolutely useless to all of them besides , and even Swain doesn't get a lot of use out these items.
- The same idea applies to items built from . Most Shapeshifters only use their special ability once, meaning they only partake in the extra spell power given by those items once in a match. Although, will constantly benefit from the spell power after transforming, and can cast their special ability multiple times.
- Because of Shapeshifters synergy, is one of the best items to use against them. In a similar manner, and are good items to use.
- is a good counter to Shapeshifters because of his special ability.
- It's possible to beat Shapeshifters without them activating their synergy, they need to be taken down fast to achieve this. Assassins are experts at this, and there are other traits that achieve some level of success doing this, like Glacial, Blademaster, Ranger, or Gunslinger.
- Shapeshifter is the only trait that activates during the round that isn't based on random chance.