Season Eight (2018) is the eighth ranked season in League of Legends. Preseason started on November 8, 2017 with patches V7.22, V7.23, V7.24, V7.24b. The first patch of this season's patch cycle was released on January 10, 2018 (V8.1). The competitive season started on January 16, 2018 and ended on November 12, 2018 (V8.1–V8.22).
- New: , , .
- Visual and Gameplay Update: , , , , , .
- Gameplay Update: , , , , , , , .
- SFX Update: .
- VFX Update: .
- VFX and SFX Update: , , , .
- Lore Update: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- New: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Return: , .
- Removed: , , , , , , , , , , .
- Event: , , , and .
- New: .
- Updated: .
- Game Mode
- New: OVERCHARGE, Snow Battle ARURF, Nexus Blitz, Odyssey: Extraction.
- Health bars
- New in-game states on health bars.
- The Store
- New Masterwork Chest
- Gameplay System
- Honor reset and new Honor rewards.
- Starting semiannual Essence Emporiums
- Hextech Crafting:
- Reveal reward dropping chances.
- Additional special rules.
- Ultimate and Mythic skins now dropped as permanent.
- 1 Gemstone can be exchanged to a Masterwork Chest instead of Hextech Chest
Starting with Season 2018, Runes and Masteries are being combined into a single, streamlined system, which combines elements of both. Summoners may choose two from a selection of 5 Paths, which are thematically similar to the three Mastery Trees from previous seasons.
- Precision (Improved attacks and sustained damage)
- Domination (Burst damage and target access)
- Sorcery (Empowered abilities and resource manipulation)
- Resolve (Durability and crowd control)
- Inspiration (Creative tools and rule bending)
Each Path is structured like a Mastery Tree, with each branch (now Slot) providing a unique selection of runes.
The new system is available to summoners of all levels at no cost and can be customized in champion select, similar to Masteries. However, players may only have a limited number of saved pages but may purchase additional pages for convenience. Influence Point and purchased made prior to September 2017 will be partially compensated.
You still keep your Rune Pages in the new system.
|Tier 3 Marks, Seals and Glyphs|
|Tier 3 Quints|
Limited Edition Runes
The leveling and rewards system is being overhauled to better facilitate unlocking champions, which are now the only item within the store that can be purchased with Influence Points. Firstly, Influence Points and Blue Essence are being combined into a single currency, Blue Essence.
- Summoner Level limit.
- End-of-game currency.
- Levelling Capsule each time you level-up.
Leveling capsules contain champion shards and Blue Essence. At special milestones, such as 25, 50, 75 and 100, you will earn additional rewards like Rare Gems and Emotes. The champion shards earned scale with champion level, with newer players more likely to receive beginner-suitable champions.
To accommodate this:
- A player's current Blue Essence is multiplied by 6.5.
- A player's current Influence Point is converted 1:1 into Blue Essence.
- Disenchanting Champion Shards now gives slightly less Blue Essence.
- Rerolling champion shards into champion permanents.
- Store costs are unchanged - e.g. items that previous cost 6300 now cost 6300.
- Enchantment costs multiplied by 6.5 - e.g. unlocking a 4,385 (up from 675). Champion shard now costs
- First Win of the Day is now a Mission that grants 575 Experience.
End of Season Event
To give players something on which to spend all that compensation, Riot hosted the first Essence Emporium, which included the extremely rare skin for 150,000. This sale lasted until from November 8th to November 27th. For more information, see the main article.
- Participation Rewards
|Exclusive Rune Enthusiast Ward||Awarded to:
Exclusive Veteran Emotes
The awarded Emote does not evolve based on future game time.