The Rift Scuttler is unique amongst all monsters in the game for two reasons: she will not retaliate against an attacker, instead attempting to flee directly away from them; and two, she continually moves along a fixed path in the river on the part of the map where she spawns. This makes Rift Scuttler the only (1) non-hostile and (2) autonomously moving monster on the map.
Bilgewater. They are small green-shelled crustaceans with 3 pairs of legs and one pair of front claws. They sometimes bury themselves into the muck of the river to avoid predators and are known to either avoid or flee from dangers. To confer peaceful resolution (hence the elusive pacifist nickname) to the force that subdues it, it will grant them a boon: a persistent field around it that grants vision and magical speed to the aggressor and its allies. If corrupted by The Void, a Rift Scuttler turns into the much larger and more aggressive .(or Scuttle Crabs in other lore) or Rift Scuttlers live in the fresh waters of Valoran, Shurima and can be found near the docks of
Unlike other monsters, Rift Scuttlers spawn with one level below the average of all champions' levels (capped at level 1). At initial spawn, Scuttlers will spawn in the top and bottom river. Both must be killed before the respawn timer activates. Once both initial Rift Scuttlers are killed, only one Rift Scuttler can be on the map at any given time for the rest of the game. Respawn locations are randomly determined, but signaled ahead of time with a respawn marker.
When Rift Scuttler receives damage or gets hit by a hard crowd control effect from any source, she will increase her base movement speed by 100 and attempt to run from the source. She will not attempt to flee from any second sources of damage that appear. If she is forced to the very end of the river, she will dash back down the center and resume fleeing.
Rift Scuttler has several unique interactions with crowd control:
- She's not affected by slows if she's not in her "flee" stage.
- Crowd control effects against her last twice as long.
- While Rift Scuttler is under the effect of crowd control that prevents her movement, she receives 25% extra damage from all sources, including true damage.
- The Rift Scuttler's dash can be knocked down and she won't commence it while rooted or grounded.
- The following crowd controls will set its armor and magic resistance to 10 until she is killed:
| Removes bonus|
| Does not remove|
When Rift Scuttler is killed, she will head towards the entrance to the pit of untargetable -radius above her location that grants a sight radius to the killer's team and a brief movement speed boost to champions that cross it for 90 seconds. After the 90 seconds, the shrine will vanish and Rift Scuttler will respawn at her location after her respawn timer has elapsed.or (depending on the part of the map) and will burrow into the ground, spawning an
- Despite having attack damage and attack speed, Rift Scuttler is physically incapable of attacking a target, even when taunted. When taunted, she will get locked in place for the duration.
- If the Rift Scuttler is forcibly taken out of the river (possible through , , etc.), she will continuously dash to return to the river she was in.
- It is possible for Rift Scuttler to become stuck in displacing or otherwise herding her towards the pit, such as with . or pit, as she will attempt to run through the inner walls in an attempt to return to the river. This can be achieved more easily by
- If a blocking the fruit for up to 10 seconds, after which the fruit disappears. Attacking the Rift Scuttler while she's eating a fruit will make her run away, making the fruit available again.
drops its fruits near a Rift Scuttler, she will dash to the closest fruit and eat it,
- is unable to attack a Rift Scuttler, so it quickly before the 10 seconds is over is the only way to save the fruit from being eaten.
- Riot revealed that Rift Scuttler is female.
- If she will join him.
dances near Rift Scuttler,
- The dance will be interrupted if Tahm Kench does so, but will not if he makes the Scuttler dance while to base.
- The icon for is a purple recolor of that for the buff.
- In Riot Games' FPS Valorant, you can find a "Scuttle Shack" on one of the maps, which is cut up and served Rift Scuttler.