Range is defined in an arbitrary quantities of "units". It shares the scale of "units" with movement speed, so one point translates to one game distance unit traveled. Note that basic attack range is defined differently than ability range.
Given a source unit's hitbox and a target unit's hitbox, range is calculated as follows: basic attack range from edge to edge; targeted skill range from center to center (barring exceptions); skillshot range from center to edge; and the range of self-centered area of effects are from the center of the source (the larger champions benefit slightly less from most auras than smaller champions). The difference is approximately 125 (i.e. 550 basic attack range is roughly 675 casting range)
Each champion begins the game with a particular base basic attack range. This can vary from 125 to 250 for melee units and 300 to 650 for ranged units. As of V9.24, (while his is ) and have the highest base basic attack range at level 1 with 650. The highest possible range is held by , whose passive, , allows her range to scale indefinitely.
Increasing Attack Range
- with or
- (while dismounted)
Range Type Modifiers
Champion with range type modifiers are not affected by item range-restrictions.
- Only purchasable for ranged champions:
Range Type Differences
- ( )
- ( )
- ( )
- ( )
Ranges calculated from the edge of a champion's hitbox will see an increase or decrease in reach based on the champion's current size. Note that a change in range due to the champion's size is only relative to the champion's center and is not an explicitly mentioned effect (i.e. the champion's attack range stat will not increase).
Targeted Abilities (Exceptions)
- (both forms)
- Summoner Spells
- and its upgrades ( and )
- Item Actives
- On V9.20, became the first champion to have its range type changed, from Melee to Ranged.
- Attack ranges can have negative values.
- reduces his attack range by 575 to -25 while the effect is active.
- reduces his attack range by 500 to -375 during the dash, to prevent him from being able to attack the target when he completes the dash.
- Hitboxes, Range and Deflection. "Hitboxes, Range, and Deflection" by Snickersnacks. Wayback Machine. Retrieved 13 April 2018
- Annie q and normal attack same 625 range, but normal attack range longer than q, Why?. Retrieved 13 August 2012
- What's the difference between spell range and autoattack range?. Retrieved 13 August 2012