- For other uses see Poro (disambiguation).
|“||"Born out of love, blinded by glee,|
Innocent, pure, magic and free,
Faithful, trusting; often naïve,
Soft, furry; their hearts hold a key."
|— The Origins of Poros, Riot Development Article|
Poros are the mysterious, magical, and much-loved creatures seemingly originating from the Freljord. They have since spread across all of Runeterra, being present on every known continent, in every region and nation.
|“||"When you wish upon a poro,|
An' look at da night sky,
You'll see da 3snax among 6da stars,
All sparkly in our eyes"
|— Ingvar the Younger|
Poros are equal parts truth, valor, and innocence. The first design had a color described as “very light blue, like Freljordian snow” (Pantone P 121-3 U), later revisions show off-white or white fur. They have a heart-shaped underbelly because they're made of love. A poro's horns perk up when it's excited and droop down when it's scared. Poros paddle through deep snow with their front paws. Some believe that poros are indestructible. Poros stick their tongue out because they are incredibly warm. This is why they can survive the harsh cold environment of the Howling Abyss.
|“||「 」「 」 of free-range, grass-fed Avarosan game hens and organic, non-ZMO Freljordian herbs contains the essential nutrients necessary to keep your Poro purring with pleasure.|
- 3LoR) are frosted with Freljordian ice crystals and are a favourite treat of this creature. They've been shown iced and not, it's somewhat unclear whether these treats are savoury or sweet, or could be both, with the conflicting interpretations. (
- Due to recent heroic deeds, is a friend to the poros.
- citation needed] claims that the intelligence of people drops in the presence of these creatures.[
- For many weary inhabitants of the Freljord, their biggest desire is to retire to greener pastures and become a 2Poro herder.
- Although Poros appear to be native to the Freljord, they are found all all over Runeterra, particularly demonstrated by Poro cards in Legends of Runeterra.
The Poro King is the leader of the Poros, who exists in the Winter Wonder universe as a major character, while being a minor character in the Runeterra Prime universe. Little is known about Poro politics.
|“||"Haha, a good moustache on this one!"|
'Ol Longhorn, or the Mighty Poro, is a large, bemustached Poro who lost his eye defending the Poro King. 4Braum is seen with him and has the ability to Summon him in Legends of Runeterra, suggesting some relation between these two. Him, and the 6Heart of the Fluft and followers, are some of the only poros seen using tools.
|“||"Gather friends, we go together!"|
There are stories of a Poro that appeared to help Avarosa when her village was overwhelmed by raiders. When they first appeared, Avarosa had no idea what they were capable of. Gradually, Poros appeared, one by one, until the hall was full of them. Interestingly, them and their followers are some of the only poros seen using tools.
|“||"New recruit has the kind of endurance and courage shown by our finest soldiers. Will he make it to the Vanguard someday? He's... smaller than the rest, but we'll see." |
|— 3Vanguard Sergeant|
|“||"His picture's been on the Bounty Board longer'n most, for he's a greedy, ruthless devil that won't let anyone or anything stand in his way. Worst of all? He's… He's cute, damn it." |
|“||In space, no one can hear you squee.|
Little is known about this being. It appears to be a Poro, but with insect-like characteristics such as wings and antennae. This is quite likely a result of magic.meddlings with
Many unique Poros have been shown in various Riot Games media, especially cosmetics or jokes, dances, etc in League of Legends, with unique shapes, colours, etcetera, and these are all things that are not considered automatically canon.
Some of these are themed after Runeterran regions, others after other alternate universes. Some have been somewhat 'replaced', for example there has been a Shadow Isles-themed spectral Poro shown in joke (See Model Viewer), along with in a and Summoner icon, but then, in Legends of Runeterra, in which all card art is stated to be canonical, a particularly 1sinister Poro has been seen surviving the Shadow Isles, without becoming a specter.
Examples of Poros that if do exist, only do so outside of the Prime Universe are:
- Battlecast Poro ( Battlecast universe), which has been seen in a and Summoner icon.
- Dark Star Poro ( Event Horizon universe), seen in a Summoner icon, and in Joke but using the Shadow Isles Poro's model
- Mafia Poro ( Crime City universe), which has been seen in a Summoner icon and in splash art, joke and .
- Pixel Arcade Poro ( Arcade universe), which can be see in a , Summoner icons and splash art and .
- Other include: Astronauts universe), ( High Society universe), ( Dragon World universe), ( Luchador universe), ( Harrowing skins universe), ( Heartbreakers universe). (
Poros were first introduced in League of Legends with the 2012 release of the official Howling Abyss ARAM map. Ever since then, they have become 'mascots' of sorts, making regular and varied appearances particularly during the Snowdown Showdown seasonal event. Legends of Runeterra introduced many more unique Poros, with them being a group in the game.
- The Poro was designed by RiotOtown, RiotEarp, and RiotCaptainLx.
- At one point in development, the Poro was animated to keel up and twitch if it ran into the Abyss' Fountain.
- Poro is derived verbatim from the Finnish word, meaning reindeer, possibly from Proto-Uralic *poča(w);
- There are other poro skin concepts that was not executed for Legend of the Poro King mode. Some that didn't make it include Bilgewater, Arcade, Patchwerk and Bittersweet.
- When feeding a Poro with a while playing , it will sprout a mustache in color based on the Braum skin.
- Previously, you could kill them by herding them into the spawn where it is treated as a 1 HP minion and basic attacking it, rewarding 4. Now they get fired on by the Nexus Obelisk and run away.
- The Poro received two Visual Updates before Snowdown Showdown 2016 on 11/23 and 11/30.
- Poros celebrate the Masquerade and Snowdown Showdown.
- A group of Poros is called a fluft.
- Poros allegedly enjoy mocking and toying with the people that enter the bridge.
- Poros are tasty but ingesting them results in a poro bursting out of the body Alien-style, "Or so the story goes".
- Feeding Poros will make them grow up to 2.35 times their size, before reaching the Porosplosion.
- During League of Legends 10th year Anniversary, Poros on ARAM wore party hats for the celebration.
- Poro appears in Legends of Runeterra as a type of cards and as a Guardian.
- The poro card flavor texts used to be parts of a ballad poem. 
- Blitzcrank's Poro Roundup is a game centered around rescuing Poros.
The Origins of Poros
By Riot Preeti
"While wrapping up the Howling Abyss, the entire team was on the lookout for something to balance out the Abyss' cold, serious atmosphere. Unlike our other maps, the Howling Abyss had a very structural, linear cadence--it was literally a bridge without any fantasy elements, which didn't feel very League. To counter this, the whole team brainstormed about cute and fun things we could add that would remain true to League and not take away from the map's epicness. It was sort of tricky because whatever we added had to be noticeable without being too distracting--we didn't want players confusing our little critter for a minion or monster they should kill! We wanted to create something furry that looked like it could survive through harsh weather, so RiotEarp looked to mountain goats, reindeer, and polar bears for inspiration. He sketched the initial poro concept art based on a cuter version of all of those things and we ran with it! Howling Abyss is the coldest and harshest place in all of Runeterra, so you can think of poros as the manifestation of whatever warmth, happiness, and love that still exists.After RiotOtown modeled and textured the very first poro, he and RiotCaptainLx decided to add a super huge tongue because the little guy reminded them of a puppy. Then, during the animation phase, RiotCaptainLx took it a step further and had the poro lick its whole face in one shot! With the tongue mechanic in place, he also animated the poro to run around panting with its tongue hanging out. We totally agreed that poros should pant just like that--they radiate with love, so they're extremely hot despite the Abyss' bone-chilling temperatures"!
- In-game skins
- Skin Appearances
These splashes and icons were made specifically to celebrate the 2015 and 2016 Masquerade events celebrated on the Latin American and Brazilian servers. The link to the Porofolia sites can be accessed from here and here.
Poro Sticker emotes were released officially by Riot games for use in social media sites as well as templates for physical stickers.
- Thread of Riot Scathlocke on the potential invalidity of older posts, and on the uncertain origin of Poros
- The Origin of Poros blog post
- Group of Poro
- Plucky Poro's flavour text
- Plunder Poro's flavour text
- Ask Riot on the canonicity of LoR
- Holopainen, S. (2019) Indo-Iranian Borrowings in Uralic. p. 184
- https://web.archive.org/web/0/https://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/summoners-rift/RXy3YEnu-legend-of-the-poro-king-qa-with-the-play-team-1219-11am-1pm-pst?comment=00130000 "Legend of the Poro King" Q&A with the Play team.
- LoL Secrets: Poro Training Guide for Dummies 1:15
- PBE: Poros now run after being hit by a fountain laser.
- LoL Secrets: Poro Training Guide for Dummies 1:21
- Old anecdotal forum post
- 11/23 PBE UPDATE
- 11/30 PBE UPDATE
- An email to Riot games with the question "What is a group of Poros called?" yields awesome results.
- Not so cute after all
- [https://nexus.leagueoflegends.com/en-us/2017/12/ask-riot-movie-honor-opponents-urf ASK RIOT MOVIE? HONOR OPPONENTS? URF?]
- Ask Riot K/DA Evelynn and Poros
- Tweet about LOR Poro flavor texts
- Poro Feet concept