- For other uses see Poro (disambiguation).
|“||"One more story, but keep quiet or mother will come!|
Long ago, raiders attacked Avarosa's village. Her forces were few--all seemed lost. But a poro appeared and offered Avarosa its help..."
Poros are the mysterious, magical, and most-loved creatures originating from the Freljord. They have since spread across all of Runeterra, being present on every known continent, in every region and nation.
They were first introduced in League of Legends with the 2012 release of the official Howling Abyss ARAM map. Ever since then, they have become 'mascots' of sorts, making regular and varied appearances particularly during the Snowdown Showdown seasonal event. With the release of Legends of Runeterra, we've learned of many more unique Poros, with them being a card type (LoR Poro) in the game.
|“||"... At first she didn't know what the little ones could do. But then another appeared, and another, 'til the hall was full of them! And every poro gathered--" |
"Bedtime! If you two aren't asleep in five minutes...!"
Due to recent heroic deeds,is a friend to the poros. claims that the intelligence of people drops in the presence of these creatures.
The Poro King is the leader of the Poros, who exists in the Winter Wonder universe as a major character, while being a minor character in the Runeterra Prime universe. Little is known about Poro politics.
|“||"Haha, a good moustache on this one!"|
'Ol Longhorn, or the Mighty Poro, is a large, bemustached Poro, armed with a hammer, who lost his eye defending the Poro King. Braum has the ability to Summon him in Legends of Runeterra, suggesting some relation between these two. Him, and the Heart of the Fluft and followers, are some of the only poros seen using tools.
|“||"Gather friends, we go together!"|
There are stories of a Poro that appeared to help Avarosa when her village was overwhelmed by raiders. When he first appeared, Avarosa had no idea what they were capable of. Gradually, Poros appeared, one by one, until the hall was full of them. Interestingly, him and his followers are some of the only poros seen using tools.
- Poros were designed by RiotOtown, RiotEarp, and RiotCaptainLx.
- At one point in development, Poros were animated to keel up and twitch if they ran into the Abyss' Fountain.
- In Finnish, Poro means 
, from *počaw;
- The Uralic noun itself is borrowed from  < *pek- "livestock, wealth" (> Sanskrit पशु páśu, Latin pecus, & English fee). *paču
- There are other poro skin concepts that was not executed for Legend of the Poro King mode. Some that didn't make it include Bilgewater, Arcade, Patchwerk and Bittersweet.
- Playing as , when feeding a Poros with a , they will sprout mustaches (different colored depending on the Braum skin used at the time).
- Previously, you could kill them by herding them into the spawn where it is treated as a 1 HP minion and basic attacking it, rewarding 4. Now they get fired on by the Nexus Obelisk and run away.
- Poros received two Visual Updates before Snowdown Showdown 2016 on 11/23 and 11/30.
- Poros celebrate the Masquerade and Snowdown Showdown.
- A group of Poros is called a fluft.
- Poros allegedly enjoy mocking and toying with the people that enter the bridge.
- Poros are tasty but ingesting them results in a poro bursting out of the body Alien-style, "Or so the story goes".
- Feeding Poros will make them grow up to 2.35 times their size, before reaching the Porosplosion.
- During League of Legends 10th year Anniversary, Poros on ARAM wore party hats for the celebration.
- Poro appears in Legends of Runeterra as a type of cards and as a Guardian.
The following Summoner Icons will modify your Poro's appearance during selected events, such as Legend of the Poro King.
The Origins of Poros
By Riot Preeti
"While wrapping up the Howling Abyss, the entire team was on the lookout for something to balance out the Abyss' cold, serious atmosphere. Unlike our other maps, the Howling Abyss had a very structural, linear cadence--it was literally a bridge without any fantasy elements, which didn't feel very League. To counter this, the whole team brainstormed about cute and fun things we could add that would remain true to League and not take away from the map's epicness. It was sort of tricky because whatever we added had to be noticeable without being too distracting--we didn't want players confusing our little critter for a minion or monster they should kill! We wanted to create something furry that looked like it could survive through harsh weather, so RiotEarp looked to mountain goats, reindeer, and polar bears for inspiration. He sketched the initial poro concept art based on a cuter version of all of those things and we ran with it! Howling Abyss is the coldest and harshest place in all of Runeterra, so you can think of poros as the manifestation of whatever warmth, happiness, and love that still exists.
After RiotOtown modeled and textured the very first poro, he and RiotCaptainLx decided to add a super huge tongue because the little guy reminded them of a puppy. Then, during the animation phase, RiotCaptainLx took it a step further and had the poro lick its whole face in one shot! With the tongue mechanic in place, he also animated the poro to run around panting with its tongue hanging out. We totally agreed that poros should pant just like that--they radiate with love, so they're extremely hot despite the Abyss' bone-chilling temperatures"!
These splashes and icons were made specifically to celebrate the 2015 and 2016 Masquerade events celebrated on the Latin American and Brazilian servers. The link to the Porofolia sites can be accessed from here and here.
- Related Music
- Related Videos
Poro Sticker emotes were released officially by Riot games for use in social media sites as well as templates for physical stickers.
- ↑ The Origin of Poros
- ↑ Group of Poro
- ↑ http://www.uralonet.nytud.hu/eintrag.cgi?id_eintrag=780
- ↑ Holopainen, S. Substitutions of Indo-Iranian affricates & sibilants in Uralic
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/0/https://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/summoners-rift/RXy3YEnu-legend-of-the-poro-king-qa-with-the-play-team-1219-11am-1pm-pst?comment=00130000 "Legend of the Poro King" Q&A with the Play team.
- ↑ LoL Secrets: Poro Training Guide for Dummies 1:15
- ↑ PBE: Poros now run after being hit by a fountain laser.
- ↑ LoL Secrets: Poro Training Guide for Dummies 1:21
- ↑ Old anecdotal forum post
- ↑ 11/23 PBE UPDATE
- ↑ 11/30 PBE UPDATE
- ↑ An email to Riot games with the question "What is a group of Poros called?" yields awesome results.
- ↑ Not so cute after all
- ↑ [https://nexus.leagueoflegends.com/en-us/2017/12/ask-riot-movie-honor-opponents-urf ASK RIOT MOVIE? HONOR OPPONENTS? URF?]
- ↑ Ask Riot K/DA Evelynn and Poros
- ↑ Poro Feet concept
- ↑ Poro Feet concept