- Sap Magic does not occur if the attack is dodged and/or missed if Maokai is blinded. It will occur if it is blocked.
- Sap Magic does not trigger versus structures or wards.
- The striking ability has to trigger spell effects such as spell damage or area damage for the cooldown to be reduced.
- If Maokai possesses a spell shield and it consumes an enemy ability, he will still receive the cooldown reduction.
- Maokai will track the target if they change locations.
- He will dash to the target's previous location without applying Twisted Advance's effects if the target is too far away or moves beyond units.
- He will stop dashing if the target is too far away the moment the dash begins.
- Twisted Advance will fail to deal damage and apply the root if the target is untargetable upon arrival.
- Applies area damage from a normal Sapling and deals persistent damage to enemies hit by an empowered Sapling.
- Saplings have a base movement speed of 400, increased based on Maokai's boots:
- : 425
- , , , and : 445
- and : 460
- Sapling Toss grants sight of the target location even while the Sapling is in flight.
- The Saplings will continue to chase their target even if they lose sight of them (but they do not prioritize champions so they will chase the first target they encounter).
- Saplings will appear on the map as minions despite being untargetable and invulnerable.
- Saplings cannot stack on top of each other (they will move a short distance away from one another if they are aimed at the same location).
- Spell shield does not negate the damage from an empowered Sapling.
- The damage of empowered Saplings is equally split into chunks of 66.7% of the normal Sapling damage every second, once immediately, and then at the 1 and 2 second mark.
- The Sapling will stop its movement upon colliding with .
- Saplings attack always at the same two points, no matter where they were placed.
- Any one enemy champion can be affected by Nature's Grasp more than once; they can be damaged and rooted by other brambles even after already colliding with one.
- The brambles are made up of 4 missiles each which trail 100 units behind one another. The front missile carries the visual effect. When colliding with a champion, all missiles of one bramble are destroyed simultaneously.
- Missiles destroyed by other means such as may not destroy their fellows from the same branch, resulting in one or more invisible missiles that may still collide.
- This ability will cast from wherever the caster is at the start of the cast time.
|Control type||Autonomous (nearby enemies)|
|Spell effects||Applies spell effects as area damage.|
The Sapling's attacks are mitigated byand .
Saplings thrown into any nearby brush will deal double damage over 2 seconds.
- This article section only contains champion skins. For all associated collection items, see Maokai (Collection).
- For the expanded patch notes, see here.
- Maokai was named after his concept artist Maokai Xiao (his concept artist)..
- In Chinese, Maokai is rendered as 茂凯 / Màokǎi.
- Maokai's dance references the Harlem Globetrotters.
- Tabs for and can be seen during Maokai's 'Art Spotlight'.