LeaverBuster is an automated system within League of Legends implemented to discourage players from repeatedly leaving matches or idling during gameplay. After leaving or idling after a certain amount of matches, which varies depending on the total number of games played and the distance in time between each leave, the player account is initially warned and then placed in a low priority queue for a certain amount of games. While the automated system can not suspend accounts, leaving or idling enough matches can result in permanent or temporary account suspensions.
LeaverBuster only applies to normal, ranked, Co-Op vs AI and game mode queues, tutorial and custom games will NOT trigger LeaverBuster despite a message being given. Ranked games are treated more severely by LeaverBuster than other game types.
Low Priority Queue
After leaving or idling in several games, players will be placed in low priority queue for 5 games. While in low priority queue, players will have to wait an additional 5 minutes before being able to queue up for a match. Continuous leaving or idling will increase the timer by 5 minutes, up to a maximum of 20 minutes.
While low priority queue apply to Co-Op vs AI game modes, playing these matches don't seem to reduce the amount of games you have to achieve in order to get rid of the restriction.
If the player dodges in champion select while in low priority queue, the timer will reset. If another player dodges, the timer will not reset and the player will resume their place in queue. Cancelling the low priority, declining or not accepting a match will also result in the timer being reset.
Leaving Champion Selection
- Queue timeout:
- 1st offense - Player is unable to join the matchmaking queue for 6 minutes.
- 2nd and following offenses - Player is unable to join the matchmaking queue for 15 minutes.
- 5 offenses or more - Player is unable to join the matchmaking queue for 20 minutes.
- Additionally, if in ranked queue:
- 1st offense - Player loses 3 League Points.
- 2nd and following offenses - Player loses 10 League Points.
This counter is shared in both ranked and normal queue, and resets after 8 hours without leaving during champion select. However, queue timeout offenses do not reset.
Leaving an Ongoing Match
The LeaverBuster system will automatically kick players who remain idle for 5 minutes. If a game doesn't end (for example for server issues, or because every player left the match), no penalties are given out.
- Punishment (All matches): No XP granted for the abandoned game.
- Punishment (Normal match): A leave is added to the player's history and will mark the player with penalty that reduces their LP gains for their next few ranked games.
- Punishment (Ranked match): A loss is added to the player's history and will mark the player with penalty that reduces their LP gains for their next few ranked games.
The penalty value is based off of game factors such as performance and time. If a player would exceed 100 LP, but would fall back below 100 LP after the penalty is applied, they do not promote.