Ignite is a targeted summoner spell that deals true damage over a duration, applying Grievous Wounds on the target, and revealing them for the duration.
- Season 2 and Season 3, the spell was nearly ubiquitous in all lanes, as the extra kill pressure was highly valued. The changes to and in Season 4 provided powerful tools to defend against all-ins, causing to fall out of favor among all but the most aggressive roles and weakening aggressive champions and strategies overall. In Season 9 regained its original lower cooldown and is now heavily favored among supports and 1v1 kill lanes. provides players an offensive utility and damage spell that scales with level. Throughout
- A well-placed healing reduction debuff from life steal and spell vamp effects from items and abilities such as and . can severely limit the effectiveness of enemy healing items, as well as healing abilities from champions like , , , and . It is considered a direct counter to , , and because they are reliant on their healing-based abilities and ultimates. The healing reduction debuff also applies to
- It should be noted that true damage and therefore cannot be mitigated by any form of damage reduction, although shields and invulnerability will absorb the damage. deals
The following table compares the effectiveness ofvs on a target affected by .
|Level||Total damage||Damage per second||Absorbed damage||Absorbed damage in 2 seconds||Received Damage||Percentage of Damage Negated||Healing||Reduced healing ( GW)||Received Damage||Percentage of Damage Negated|
- will always negate 40% of damage if it is activated while under the effect of for at least 2 seconds.
- will always negate more damage than . Note that will absorb a larger portion of damage at lower levels.
- Ignite's damage scales with the user's level.
- removes the damage-over-time component of , but not the healing reduction.
- healing debuff does not reduce shields or health boosts like or .
- Multiple uses of on the same target will refresh its duration and does not provide a stacking effect.
- Grievous Wounds, such as . does not stack with any other abilities that apply
- Taking damage from Ignite interrupts Recall as of patch V5.3; other channeled abilities are unaffected.
- The cooldown of this spell can be reduced by summoner spell cooldown reduction.
- The icon for shows great resemblance to since they are both icons of a hand holding a flame.
- and (and on Howling Abyss) are the only summoner spells that deal direct damage to enemy champions.