Iceborn is a rare magical trait of humans and other races from the Freljord which makes the individual more resistant to the cold and become capable of manipulating both True Ice and Dark Ice. It is the result of an ancient and terrible bargain made by to grant those power for her sisters and followers. While Iceborn traits are not exclusive to only humans, as the Three Sisters had Iceborn followers from different races, the vast majority of known Iceborn are humans. 
Thought a rare phenomenon indeed, the blood of the tribes has been known to carry the power of this bargain. Very few Iceborn exist today, though the title and ability to work with ice are both heritable (can be passed down through generations and mostly consistently from the mother to her child). The Iceborn are more resistant to cold—and they alone are capable, with great effort, of wielding weapons of magical, unmelting True Ice.
Other Related Champions
- is an ancient ally of the Iceborn.
- is an ally of .
- might be an Iceborn after gaining the powers of the gem guarded by .
- is an ally of and may be an Iceborn.
- door is used by .
- visited a frost-troll village and confronted during his search for the World Runes.
- currently wields Iceborn powers.
- is oathbound to .
- Frostguard. was seen by some Iceborn from the
- blinded .
The Three Sisters
After losing her sight to the the darkness below for what it was: the lingering abyss promised not only an ending, but infinity. It was death, both dangerous and full of potential. Unknown to her sisters, Lissandra struck a deal on their behalf with the god-like entities she had communed with—the Watchers would grant them near-immortality in exchange for preparing Runeterra for the coming of the Void., chose instead to walk in dreams. As she navigated the fitful visions of those around her, she realized only she could see
The three sisters and their most powerful followers were named Iceborn. Those with this ability to withstand the worst of the numbing frost would be spared until the very end.
The fall of the frozen Watchers
After some time, two Iceborn leaders, Lissandra's sisters: Avarosa (supposed ancestor) and Serylda, ( supposed ancestor) started a rebellion against the Watchers, tired of their slave-like status.
On a fateful day, Avarosa's and Serylda's Iceborn hordes marched into the mountains, to face Lissandra before the walls of her own fortress. At the height of this bitter confrontation, the Watchers finally came to Runeterra and showed what they truly were. In that moment, only choices were to let all the world be consumed, or to give up what she cared for most—Lissandra sacrificed her sisters and the allies they had gathered, entombing the Watchers beneath a glacial barrier of magical ice that could never be melted.
The Watchers and the War are now only remembered almost as fairy tales, and they likely happened several thousands of years ago. As of now, there are very, very few extant Iceborn.
- Iceborn is more likely to be a warmother, a military leader of a Freljordian Tribe.
- The Iceborn possibly references two figures from Norse mythology:
- The Iceborn are the first known users of True Ice, and were likely its discoverers.
- Other notable Iceborn are: Halla Ice-in-her-Soul, Olar Stonefist, Ralakka Split-Tongue, and Sigvar Half-Quiver, Grena (Gregor (the shopkeeper in the Howling Abyss).
mother), Kalkia ( mother), Hejian ( grandmother) and
- In the old canon, Gregor is a deceased Iceborn, as stated by himself. He was killed by Avarosa so that his spirit could serve as the eternal guardian of the Howling Abyss and adviser should the Watchers return. While he still exists in the current lore based on the flavour text of Iceborn Legacy, the contexts behind the fall of the Frozen Watchers have been changed, and as a result, so may his background and role.
- It is rare for Iceborn women not to bear children with the Iceborn trait, even if their father isn't an Iceborn. However, the same is not true for Iceborn men, which is one of the reasons Freljord tribes organize, mostly, in matriarchies.
- Prior to old canon, it was thought that the term Iceborn only applies to humans, while the same trait appears in Frost Trolls by default, which turned out to be false in the current lore. biography update and as in the
- It is possible the Iceborn trait unknowingly exists in some population outside of Freljord as those individuals don't live in the cold climate.
- Different Iceborn have different level of resistance to the cold and the effect of True Ice, as the pain caused by using True Ice is perceived and described differently by different individuals.
- Related Music
- Related Videos