- For the ability, see .
- For the item, see .
The Iceborn are a rare magical subtype of humans from the Freljord, capable of manipulating both True Ice and Dark Ice. Very few Iceborn exist today, though the title and ability to work with ice are both heritable (can be passed down through generations).
Thought a rare phenomenon indeed, the blood of the tribes has been known to carry the power of an ancient and terrible bargain. From mother to child, the Iceborn are stronger, tougher, more resistant to cold—and they alone are capable, with great effort, of wielding weapons of magical, unmelting True Ice.
Other Related Champions
- is an ancient ally of the Iceborn.
- is an ally of .
- is an ally of .
- currently wields Iceborn powers.
- ally of the Iceborn .
- is oathbound to .
The Three Sisters
The Iceborn were a powerful group of people who lived in the Freljord centuries ago. They had the ability to control both True Ice and Dark Ice, though the latter was more dangerous to manipulate. As explained by, ancient people who lived in Freljord were visited by mysterious entities known as the Frozen Watchers. The Watchers were beings of great power and knowledge. They made these people immortal and gave them powerful magic in exchange for their servitude, dubbing them Iceborn.
After some time, two Iceborn leaders, Lissandra's sisters: Avarosa (ancestor) and Serylda, ( ancestor) started a rebellion against the Watchers, tired of their slave-like status.
On a fateful day, Avarosa's and Serylda's Iceborn hordes had their final battle against the Watchers on what is now known as the Howling Abyss. In the end, both Avarosa and Serylda gave their lives to defeat the Watchers and were thrown into the abyss, supposedly killing them, along with thousands of other Iceborn. However, according to Lissandra, and suggested by Gregor and Lyte, they are very much alive, and making their way back onto the surface.
The Watchers and the War are now only remembered almost as fairy tales, and they likely happened several thousands of years ago. As of now, there are very, very few extant Iceborn.
Gregor, the shopkeeper in the Howling Abyss, is a deceased Iceborn, as stated by himself. He was killed by Avarosa so that his spirit could serve as the eternal guardian of the Howling Abyss and adviser should the Watchers return.
Though otherwise human, Iceborn have blue (like) or pale white skin (like and . Some Iceborn, like , are biologically immortal, as they do not physically age. However, Iceborn do not have self-healing abilities like the Darkin, which makes them vulnerable, just like any human, to physical injuries.
Iceborn can control and manipulate ice, but some can also manipulate their appearance at will. This is evidenced in Howling Abyss.ability to take other persons' identities, and perhaps also by Gregor's abnormally huge and disproportionate body. They are also able to endure lower temperatures than any normal human, being able to withstand the freezing cold of the
has the ability to sense her surroundings to perfection. It has been speculated that she uses temperature or the ice around her to do this. She developed this technique to be functional as she is blind, but it is not known if the ancient Iceborn had this ability. Considering her ability to function well despite her disability, her sisters Avarosa and Serylda likely found a way to function while being deaf and mute respectively.
An iceborn possesses greater stamina, strength and resistance to cold than most humans. Iceborn have the potential to use ice magic and weld True ice. A person is not typically called an iceborn (or True iceborn by Grena) until they have proven their ability to wield true ice and have been named following a duel or battle. Until then, they are often described as the daughter or son of an Iceborn. 
- The Three Sisters:
-  - Likely . lost her sight to "the savage claws of a primal god"
- Serylda "lost her voice to the first twilight" - Likely a Targonian Ascended Host of the Aspect of .
- Avarosa "faced the twisting dark beneath the world, and was deafened by its emptiness, waiting to consume all creation." This is presumably the Void.
- and are Iceborn, hailed as descendants and reincarnations of Avarosa and Serylda respectively by the people of the Freljord. However, it is unclear if they have direct bloodline connections to these Iceborn, besides Ashe's tribe being named after Avarosa.
- Iceborn is more likely to be a warmother, a military leader of a Freljordian Tribe.
- The Iceborn possibly references two figures from
- the primordial ice giant ,
- & the god who was figuratively 'born' from a ice-block licked by the primeval cow .
- No ordinary humans have been observed to manipulate ice. While some are shown to control ice, it is more likely that they draw this power from their True Ice weapons rather than from their Iceborn heritage. This may be the case for , but it does less to explain the massive amount generated by his ultimate ability.
-  was speculated to be an Iceborn, as his lore makes him ageless (to the point that tales about him happened more than 5 generations ago) and incredibly strong. He was later confirmed by RiotJaredan to not be an Iceborn; he is just a very strong human whose tales (embellished or true) spread around the Freljord during his lifetime.
- The Iceborn are the first known users of True Ice, and were likely its discoverers.
- Other notable Iceborn are: Halla Ice-in-her-Soul, Olar Stonefist, Ralakka Split-Tongue, and Sigvar Half-Quiver, Grena ( mother), Kalkia ( mother), Hejian ( grand-mother).
- It is rare for Iceborn women not to bear children with the Iceborn trait, even if their father isn’t an Iceborn. However, the same is not true for Iceborn men, which is one of the reasons Freljord tribes organize, mostly, in matriarchies.
- Related Music
- Related Videos