Current free champion rotation
All Random games allows players to roll champions from a list of 65 champions always free to play in ARAM, in addition to the current Weekly Free Rotation. Duplicate entries do not have increased odds.
Before summoner level 11, players have access to a different Free Rotation. This is updated less frequently than the standard rotation but will regularly be checked every month.
- 16 champions (about 10% of champion roster) are available for free play at any given time.
- New champions are added to the free champion rotation on the third week following their release.
- The European rotation is aligned with the United States rotation.
- Riot has occasionally shifted the rotation date to avoid rotating on US holidays.
- One such case was Labor Day weekend of Season 1 (2010), during its 9th week. The rotation was shifted one day forward to be on Tuesday, September 7th, which caused the week's rotation to be short as rotation shifts resumed normally the following week.
- Sometimes, champions were added to the rotation due to special events or to compensate for champions of the rotation that had been temporarily disabled.
- and are the only two champions to go on the free champion rotation the same day they were released.
- For different reasons some champions were not included in the cycle for a longer period of time:
- Some had a severe case of "balancing reasons," being one such example.
- Some were already available in promotional materials, such as and .
- Some had potential reworks incoming, thus were removed before their rework. , , , and had this occur prior to their reworks.
- For some of these removed champions, they also were removed from special sale cycles.
- Historically, champions were added into the rotation upon their release. Once the roster had become larger, their additions to the rotation were delayed to the week after their release.
- Riot Games has stated that their policy is to "allow players to preview all champions eventually," and it is generally understood that new champions are held out of the free rotation temporarily out of respect for the players who purchased them early.
- Since the release of
, new champions are added to the free champion rotation on the third week following their release.
- breaks the tradition, being on the free rotation only 10 days after release.
- On patch V7.16, the number of champions in the free champion rotation increased from a flat 10 up to 10% of the maximum roster. With 137 champions at the time of the patch, the number of champions in the free rotation increased by 4 to become 14.
- This later increased to 15 in September 2019.
- For the October 22nd, 2019 - October 29th, 2019 week, the Free Champion pool includes the 40 Original Champions to celebrate 10th Anniversary Event of the game.
- The format for champion rotation has changed over time, along with their classifications.
- From Season 1, Week 33 onwards, the champion classification was changed, with Melee DPS divided into Melee DPS and Fighter (Melee champions with some survivability). Also, some champions changed type. The champion rotation selected a roster of champions in the following format:
- From Season 2, Week 1 onwards the champion classification was changed, with a renaming of Melee DPS to Assassin, and Ranged DPS to Marksmen. Also, some champions had their type changed. The champion rotation selected a roster of champions in the following format:
- The classifications of the champions are not meant to dictate how the champion is played, but to provide a rapid and simple overview of what kind of attributes the champion has so that players who are new to the character are not overwhelmed by the question of "what is their general focus in the game."
- Starting from November 2, 2021, six champions prominent in Arcane ( , , , , and ) became free on top of the regular rotation to coincide with Arcane's premiere, increasing the amount of champions in the rotation to 22 instead of 16 at the time.
Main article: Champion rotation archive