- For the summoner experience, see experience (summoner). For other uses of Experience, see Experience
Champion experience (XP) is a game mechanic that allows champions to level up after reaching certain amounts of experience throughout Summoner's Rift and ARAM matches. Leveling up allows them access to new abilities or higher ranks of existing abilities. Many base stats and some items and runes scale with champion's level.
All champions start each match at level 1, with zero experience.
Experience normally isn't gained passively over time, and must instead be earned through various different means.
There are six ways to gain experience.
- Solo killing a champion: Gives .
- Assisting a kill: Gives total experience which is shared equally among all allies that participated in the kill.
- The experience is individually reduced by for being higher level than the slain champion.
- The experience is individually increased by 16% for each level the slain champion is higher (level difference can be decimal).
- Proximity to a champion's death while dead: Nearby enemy champion deaths grant experience up to 10 seconds after your death (whether or not you assisted in the kill).
- Proximity to a minion death: Being within 1600 units of a minion's death grants experience, regardless of whether it was last hit or killed by another source. Last hitting a minion while further than 1600 units away also grants experience.
- Proximity to a ward death: Being within 1600 units of a ward's death grants experience.
- Jungle monsters: Killing a monster grants experience. All experience goes to the killer, even if there are allies nearby.
Increasing experience gain
Note that experience gain modifiers stack additively.
- Howling Abyss Aura passively grants experience.
- Two champions each gain .
- Three champions each gain .
- Four champions each gain .
- Five champions each gain .
By default, and in most gamemodes, the level cap is set to level 18.
- In Ultra Rapid Fire the level cap is increased to level 30.
When reaching the maximum level, the in-game tooltip for experience will show 0/0 Experience. Champions will still be able to gain experience, but it has no effect whatsoever.
The following describes the amount of experience required to go from level 1 to level 18 on Summoner's Rift.
Minion waves calculations assumes a Summoner's Rift lane, no increased experience sources, no neutral monsters are slain and one champion is in 1600 range of every opposing minion death in said lane.
|To reach level||XP||Cumulative XP||Minion Waves|
The following describes the amount of experience required to go from level 3 to level 18 on Howling Abyss.
|To reach level||XP||Cumulative XP|
Some items have a level requirement:
- Items crafted by
- , prior to her rework, had a non-displayed passive that granted 5 experience points every 5 seconds to nearby allied champions that had a lower level than her.