Draft Pick is a PvP game mode for Summoner's Rift where players ban champions from the selection pool. It provides a competitive interaction to champion selection that can influence the game's setting.
A player must have access to at least 20 champions in order to participate, those 20 champions can be either owned or available in the free rotation. In solo or duo Ranked games, all 20 champions must be owned since free champions are not available. The player must also be level 10 for Normal Draft, and 30 for Ranked.
Normal Draft Pick is not available on SEA servers/servers hosted by Garena.
The Draft Pick was included in the Season One Patch. It took part in the competition system for the Season One ranked games. Since September 20, 2011 Draft Pick became available for unranked games on Summoner's Rift and the Crystal Scar. Since January 24, 2016 Draft Pick had been changed to implement elements of Team Builder in its design to supplant the aforementioned feature.
Making the Party
In the lobby, players select their primary and secondary roles on the team. Depending on the number of players, the team may need to select a variety of roles before queuing. In a party of five, only one role can be selected.
The roles selectable are Top, Mid, Bot, Support, Jungle, and Fill. Despite the graphical depiction, the support is not strictly assigned a lane and the positions are not class-restricted - i.e. bot only refers to the person who wants to kill minions/earn gold in bot lane.
To speed up matchmaking, the match may assign a player to an unintended leftover role. If they play with this change or have played as Support, they receive Autofill Protection that guarantees their intended roles in their next queue.
In organized play where teams are familiar with each other, champions that someone on the other team plays exceptionally well are normally banned to try to deter the pick. In solo queue, bans are normally issued to champions that are widely considered to be overpowered and are likely to be picked.
- Failing to lock in a pick will disband champion selection and incur a dodge penalty.
- Failing to lock in a ban will result in the player automatically banning none.
- In matchmade games, opponents' summoner names are not displayed.
- Champion quotes will only play on a player's own picks and bans. (They may cause audio clutter otherwise)
- It is possible to process multiple trades after selection. Trades are often planned in order to secure high tier champions early on to be swapped with the intended player instead of risking the other team taking them.
Upon entry, the teams are notified of the side of the map they will play. Team members are assigned a pick order and cannot pick until their turn arrives.
Each player has a hidden account number that is compared against their teammates within an algorithm that determines pick order. Theoretically, the order is maintained when playing with the exact same players.
Split Draft (est. 2017)
Tournament iteration of 10 Ban Draft.
Captain's Draft (est. 2010)
- The Ban phase has the option to decline a ban, labeled 'None'. The client codes this as a champion within the catalog (-1) that does not appear in any other circumstance.