|“||"Sometimes we must go looking for our demons... And sometimes, they find us."|
|— Kuro'sagol to Kin of the Stained Bladein|
The Demons are a race of spirits with no inherent form, who are forged and driven by the negative thoughts and feelings of mortals. Specifically, demons malign and manipulate victims to sate their own desires for suffering. Each demon is attuned to a specific emotion, feeding on those emotions until the victim inevitably dies. They have been sighted in numerous locations around Runeterra but they mostly manifest where there is a lot of turmoil and despair.
- 6 Camphor, the Doubt is a demon fought and banished by an his allies near the slopes of Mount Targon. As per its name, it probably feeds on the doubt and low-self esteem of its victims.
- Dauntless Vanguard fought demonic shadow creatures created by the nightmares of the residents of Fossbarrow, given form by . and
- and use shadow magic which originates from the shadow realm, the realm where was born.
- Fossbarrow from demonic possession by . saved a boy from
- 6 Camphor, the Doubt on the slopes of Mount Targon. , alongside his comrades, fought and eventually defeated
- Olgathee Forest. banished a demon that was terrorizing the surrounding area near
- Black Rose. is in control of the demon known as , previously wielded by the
- is looking for who killed her parents.
- Kin of the Stained Blade. faced a demon during the events of
- Azakana before coming back to life. fused with an
While the exact details of the origins of demons are unknown, it is fabled that
The Rune Wars were massive conflicts that happened on numerous continents. The discovery and the power of the World Runes have decimated civilizations, scattered groups of people, and generated an enormous amount of negative emotional energy, which greatly influenced the creation of new demons. Many low level demons, known as Azakana, gained more power.
Towards the end of the Rune Wars, desperate cabals of warrior-mages cast off their flesh, entering and dominating the spirit realm. Their shadow magic corrupted the thoughts of mortals everywhere, giving fuel to ever more horrendous acts in the war.is created as a byproduct of shadow magic and tirelessly hunts each shadow mage, ending their dark domain.
When the wars finally ended, the world's suffering waned, andfound herself growing desperate. After observing her prey, she developed her lustful form and started hunting humans.
First Noxian Invasion
After the First Noxian invasion, many Ionian settlements were destroyed and a lot of people had lost their loved ones. Many Ionians were consumed by emotions of grief and anger.
These new-found emotions attracted a lot of lesser demons, the Azakana, to Ionia. Eventually these demons became a major threat to the archipelago's inhabitants. The Kinkou Order have dedicated themselves to uphold the balance between the physical world and the spiritual world. To uphold this balance, The Kinkou Order has begun banishing these lesser demons. After became fused with a demon, he began sealing Azakana away in order to learn more about his own demon.
A fragment of esoteric lore, discovered after the attack on the Noxian fortress at Fae'lor. The author(s) and provenance are unknown.
The compendium shows several types of demons that branch out from three root branches, the primary one being Fear. The types of demons that spawn from Fear are: Nightmare, Secrets (which further branches out to Obsession), and Delirium (which further branches out to Bliss and Frenzy), and currently unknown branches. Nine inscriptions of what are hinted to be Azakana. Around the branches, several images can be seen, such as the image of Raum, Fiddlesticks' key, and an image showing 10 circles.
The inscription is written in a currently unknown language, possibly connected to Ochnun or the Noxian writing system, as it was found in a Noxian stronghold.
The physical appearance of demons are inconsistent. Demons, like most spirits, are known to be shapeshifters. They can change their appearance to better suit their own needs. Runeterra. In addition to changing their appearance, demons can mimic the mannerisms of its prey. and are able to sweet talk people into falling into obsession. can mimic the sound of its victims to instill doubt and fear into others.was able to morph her form in such a way so that she could get closer to her prey. can seemingly change its appearance as it is described very differently in various regions all across
A demon can not be harmed by weapons created in the physical world, except for weapons created out of petricite. They can however be banished or sealed by using a weapon which originates from the spiritual world, such as when  Demons can have their power nullified by more powerful magic, such as when nullified 's possession with a powerful show of light magic.used his to banish a demon or when used his to seal Kuro'sagol into a mask.
Azakana are parasitic lesser demons, as they're not full demonic entities like  Azakana can only feed off a very particular emotion. For example, if feeds on "Fear" in a broad sense, an Azakana can only feed on a particular fear like "Fear of Being Forgotten".or . The word Azakana is derived from the Ionian terms aza meaning "little" and akana meaning "demon". This means the real meaning of Azakana is "little demon". They hone in on a single person or spirit's fear or shortcoming, and just absorb the negative emotions until they kill the host. Then they become a full demon or move onto another host that has a more "rich flavor".
Spirit Blossom Festival
During the Spirit Blossom Festival, there were multiple spirits introduced, some of these spirits were the Akana (which is the Ionian word for demon). These Akana however are different from the usual demons. These spirits could not let go of the past and cling on to it. In contrast to the Kanmei, which are benevolent spirits who were able to let go of their past.
- : A brave warrior from an ancient land, they were ignobly cut down in the heat of battle thousands of years ago, their sword shattering in the process. Unable to find peace, they obsessively scours an otherworldly battlefield for pieces of her broken blade, possessed by a horrific darkness that guides them into oblivion.
- : Known also as Tsetsegua, they came from a lost clan of monster hunters, annihilated to the last when the primordial demon of pain chanced upon their hidden village. Unable to let go, and doomed to her own obsessions for eternity, she hunts the creature without end, always unable to catch it.
- : A shy fawn spirit, they once served as the guardian of a sacred Ionian forest until their grove was destroyed and cast into flame. Consumed by loss, they now slumbers in the spirit realm, reliving the destruction in an unending nightmare unaware of the timid hope still waiting to bloom.
- : Known also as the Collector, the demon delight in tormenting the spirits of those they deems as flawed, but blossoming with potential. They haunt the spiritual afterlife as a supreme collector of souls, tempting the dead away from their path to salvation until they are trapped for eternity within their own memories.
- : Rumored to have once been a beautiful princess, legend says she vanished into the mountains when her sister staged a coup, never to return.
- Spirit of Pain: A demon that attacked the village of Tsetsegua, feeding on pain similar to .
- It is revealed by Kindlejack that chains were originally created by Durand to capture full demons.
- is currently not a demon even despite the fact that his alias is the Demon Jester and folklore suggests he is a demon. This means that currently has no known relation with demons.
- It is possible that azakana is called "Lingering Doubts of One's Past" seeing as he is a real world representation of the Ionian legends about the two brothers. The Elder Brother described his own demon as "Lingering Doubts of One's Past".
- Although demons can't be taken over and controlled using the magic of Black Mist, it does drive them temporarily "berserk". and the
- is related to the Ten Kings