- You may also be looking for Summoner Mastery, a retired feature of the game.
Champion Mastery is a progression system which tracks a player's aptitude and experience with each champion. At the end of every game, players receive a grade which scores their performance in comparison to the whole player base in that respective champion and position combination. These grades then translate into a point score which accumulates over time, eventually unlocking new Champion Mastery levels and flair as the player advances through the system.
The player is eligible for Champion points (CP) when they are at least summoner level 5, these are earned on matchmade games of:
- PvP Summoner's Rift (Blind Pick, Draft, Ranked)
- PvP Howling Abyss
- All Featured Game Modes ( Ascension, Ultra Rapid Fire, One for All, etc...)
After an eligible match, a given player receives a grade based on how well they performed in comparison to all other players in the region that have played the champion-position combination (e.g. bottom lane will only be compared to other Vel'Koz bottom lane players).
Grades are issued per match, a higher grade is worth more champion points. The possible grades are (from highest to lowest): S+, S, S-, A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-.
- While you are graded versus all players in your region, the grading system is not influenced by your matchmaking rating (MMR). Note that it is still possible for low-elo players to consistently get S+ if they are really good on a champion.
- Performance uses a mix of core game metrics that Riot is confident cannot be abused through means such as AFK farming or spam warding.
- Riot will not reveal the exact factors that determine grading to prevent players from attempting to game the system.
Champion Mastery is currently distinguished in 7 levels, the first 5 of which are attained at champion point threshholds. While a higher grade is worth more points, the amount of points gained is also influenced by team performance and party size (premade bonus). Team performance is affected by whether or not the team wins.
Champion points are accrued for the champion that has been played. Champion point progress is recorded in the Champion section of the Collection tab. Champion points are also called Mastery Points.
Premade bonus is awarded based on group size:
|Premade Size||Premade Bonus|
|Party of one||No bonus|
|Party of two||2% of CP earned|
|Party of three||4% of CP earned|
|Party of four||6% of CP earned|
|Party of five||10% of CP earned|
Levels 1 to 5
Unplayed champions are considered level 0. After playing a single game, Mastery level immediately enters level 1 and starts progress towards level 2.
The following describes the amount of Champion Mastery points required to go from one level to the next:
|Level||CP Required||Cumulative CP Required||Cumulative CP %|
Levels 6 and 7
- At level 5, receiving a grade of S-, S or S+ grants 1 Mastery 6 Token.
- A maximum 2 tokens can be collected.
- At level 6, receiving a grade of S or S+ grants 1 Mastery 7 Token.
- A maximum 3 tokens can be collected.
|Unlock withTokens and Blue Essence|
|Unlock with Tokens and 1 Champion Permanent
|Unlock with Tokens and 1 Champion Shard
|“||Used to advance the Mastery level of a specific champion. Acquired by grading S- or above on a level (n-1) Mastery champion.|
|— Mastery Token|
- Free to play champions can be leveled up to level 4. After that, they will stop accruing points until the champion is unlocked.
- Champion points do not decay.
- Progress will not be reset in the event of a champion rework.
- When changing server regions, the highest grade earned on that champion will be cleared, however the mastery rank obtained pre-migration will be kept.
Each champion class has names for the mastery levels.
There are 7 levels of Champion Mastery currently obtainable, distinguished by crests. In addition, levels 4 and above have a Mastery loading screen badge and an in-game announcement banner, as well as an Emote (bound to its seperate hotkey).
- Star Guardian
If a player earned Mastery Level 5, 6, or 7 during the 2017 Star Guardian event and equip either of the icons earned from the Invasion game mode, a player would receive a temporary Star Guardian-skinned Mastery badge emote for that tier that a player could flash across games until September 26th 2017.
- See also: Honor
Mastery Chest is an avenue of earning Hextech Chests for playing different champions. A player can earn 1 Mastery Chest every 7 days, storing up to 4 slots; this counter is shown in the Overview section of the Profile tab.
The Mastery Chest is given to a player that earns an S-, S, or S+ grade, all members of the player's premade party will also receive a chest. There remain a few conditions required for a player receiving a chest.
- You are playing a champion you own.
- The champion you are playing has not earned a chest in the current competitive season.
In the Champions section of the Collection tab, a champion's portrait will have an icon indicating the chest has been earned; the hover-over tooltip will also display this information.
Champion Mastery is one of the achievements displayed in the Overview section of the Profile tab. Displayed prominently is the champion with the highest score, the level, and the total mastery score (sum of all mastery levels achieved). The hoverover tooltip shows the top three champions' levels, scores, and highest grades.
Champion mastery is displayed in the portrait information within the loading screen.
In the post-game lobby, a text callout will notify the team if a player has achieved an S grade or a new mastery level (1-5).
These Portrait Crests were replaced in Champion Collection update in V9.17.
These Portrait banners for the loading screen were replaced in V9.3.