Active ability items are items that have an effect that may be activated by clicking on its icon or by pressing its assigned hotkey. Items can be clicked and dragged to different squares on the HUD in-game, allowing for greater control over hotkey usage.
- See also: consumable items.
- Selling an item with a unique active on cooldown, then repurchasing it, will not reset the cooldown to its full duration, nor will it replenish the active. Its cooldown is constantly tracked in the background, ticking down even while the item isn't in the inventory. For instance, after selling while it has 50 seconds left on its active cooldown, waiting 30 seconds, then purchasing it again, it will still have 20 seconds remaining. However, upgrading from to is an exception to this rule as the cooldown is reset.
- Item actives cannot be used while in the cast time of an ability. The only exceptions are , , , , , , and .
- Channeling can either disable item actives and/or be interrupted by those that can be activated. The item actives stated above do not interrupt channels and can be used while channeling unless otherwise stated by the ability.
- All boots are considered active ability items when the user has .
- Most actives with crowd control (e.g. and ) and/or damaging spell effects (e.g. and ) are blocked by spell shield.