- Leona was designed by Volty.
- Leona was a direct response to fan requests for a female tank.
- Leona is voiced by .
- Leona's name is Latin for lioness. Leon means Lion in French, Greek, Latin and Spanish as well.
- Leona's appearance and personality are heavily inspired by IronStylus' wife; her face was drawn with as a reference.
- Leona's final Splash Art differs from that of her Art Spotlight with the main difference being her hair.
- As a "Chosen of the Sun", and with sun-based powers, Leona may be a reference to the Solar Exalted from the Tabletop RPG Exalted.
- Leona's dance is similar to the Force-Shielder Class skill called "Shield Break" from .
- Leona's passive, , is similar to . The two differences are that Leona herself is unable to activate the mark while only Lux can activate Illumination, and that any damage from an ally can trigger Sunlight, while Lux can only trigger Illumination with an autoattack and her ultimate, .
and her place of origin is based on , the , a symbol unearthed in may be the reason why her theme is the sun. In her work in progress poster, her shield has the complete Vergina Sun symbol with all 16 points, whereas in the classic skin, the Vergina Symbol on her shield appears to not have spikes on its bottom half.
- It still has all 16 points but 5 of which are attached to the shield itself and not on the Vergina Symbol.
- Leona has a hidden passive that causes to deal 1 less damage to champions with sunglasses.
- This includes champions such as and skins such as and .
- Leona's Zenith Blade was chosen by community to be forged by Man at Arms. Here you can watch the episode about making it.
- [ |
- It is based off the , a host of female figures from Norse mythology who wander the battle fields retrieving slain warriors who are to be brought to Valhalla after a glorious death in battle. This is fitting as a skin for a true tank, who can to an extent decide who dies in battle by stunning key enemies and saving allies.
- Leona's dress appears to become see through, showing her undergarments while hiding in the bushes in her Valkyrie skin - this is an unintentional graphical error. This due to the fact that the model has several layers and entering a brush causes the outer layer to become transparent.
- She shares this theme with .
- [ |
- It skin is based on .
- It has different spell effects for three of her spells:
- sprouts phoenix wings during its trajectory.
- leaves an imprint of the Iron Solari upon impact.
- makes the phoenix of her shield to open its wings trying to cover Leona's head.
- The splash art has some ties to IronStylus, an avid Leona fan.
- The overall avian theme to the skin and the flying in the background pay tribute to IronStylus; he uses one of those birds as his avatar on the forums and he is a proud owner of similar birds.
- The name of the skin shares its initials with his pseudonym.
- [ |
- In the Pool Party Leona artwork, you can see
skipping with while looks on with a jealous expression and bad tan and swimming.
- This is poking fun at the rumors of Ezreal's love interest. Some official sources point at Lux, while some people in the fandom joke about a possible Taric/Ezreal relationship.
- Pool Party Leona has a hidden Lunari symbol at the bottom right of the back of her shield/surfboard.
- Pool Party Leona was proposed by the community   
- She shares this theme with , , and .
- Leona was childhood friends with .
- Leona and
are adversaries, with Diana being the "Chosen of the Moon" and Leona being the "Chosen of the Sun".
- The "Chosen of the Moon" and the "Chosen of the Sun" depicted in the mural are not Diana and Leona, but their ancient predecessors.
- Leona was not at the temple when Diana was sentenced to death. She will undoubtedly learn of what happened and come to confront Diana for what she's done to the Solari. While Leona was an apprentice to their teachings, the elders presented her with an entirely different face than they did Diana. To Leona, the Solari elders are her mentors and some of them she may have even considered her friends. She fully believed in the Solari ideal--protection of the weak, guidance for the lost--and, as good-hearted as Leona is, she may have been somewhat blinded by their light herself. How she reacts to the challenge Diana brings to everything she's come to believe remains to be seen. 
- A post by IronStylus in the thread Diana's lore, Diana and may share a bond between one another as more than the "Chosen of the Moon" and the "Chosen of the Sun". This can only be implied by the quote "We want them to be intertwined, and without delving too far into assumptions and implications, without getting too detailed about their past relationship, what is more tragic than to have to kill someone that you love?".
|Pool Party Theme|